Question about controlled entry

There is a proposal to install a controlled entry system in my building. At the moment, there is no metered electricity supply for the common parts of the building (the lighting is unmetered). Are the following assumptions correct?

  1. New unmetered supplies are no longer provided
  2. Any metered supply would attract a standing charge
  3. An installation charge would apply
  4. This could be expensive
  5. There may be difficulty finding a supplier at all at present

Thanks for any wisdom.

Reply to
Scott

No

Yes

Possibly, it may depend on the supplier; in many cases you may be able to get a meter fitted free to an existing supply

No; the difficulty is changing tariffs/suppliers due to price capping.

Provided your controlled entry system has an Elexon charge code your existing unmetered supplier should be able to add it to your existing unmetered installation cost, eg

Of course, many installers probably won't bother informing the electricity supplier - fairly sure the council here don't when they put controlled entry into hundreds of blocks :)

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Since this is DIY, just connect it to the unmetetred lighting supply.

Reply to
Roger Mills

There are reasons why this is not an option.

I am wondering if there is a better (legitimate) option than the Ofgem price cap.

Reply to
Scott

Take a submetered supply from the nearest ground floor flat?

Why can't you use the lighting supply? Using the existing supply, whether unmetered or changing to metered, is going to be cheaper than putting any new supply in with an additional standing charge.

Also, how many flats in the block?

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

I would not be happy to build a reliance on the goodwill of one individual.

In this area (unusually) the lighting is provided by the Council for an annual fee. They pay the electricity. I consider it would be theft of electricity to tap into that supply.

8

Subplot: I am opposing controlled entry as there is masonry work needed, which neighbours are unwilling to pay for. I am saying I will not support door entry unless and until the masonry work is completed. I want to understand the economics of door entry. The joys of communal living :-)

Reply to
Scott

Edinburgh? Edinburgh Council do suggest taking a supply from an adjacent domestic supply and sharing out the cost.

The alternative is a system powered from the flat, but they're usually only 1 call, so you'd have 8 intercoms at the door.

If it is Scotland, door entry can be done under majority agreement under the Tenement Act.

What about a secure door, mailboxes outside it for the post, and people put their phone numbers on the mailbox for parcel delivery? No release mechanism.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

I would not consider the Council to be a domestic supply.

No way.

This is true. Same applies to masonry work (*). It's a question of negotiation. My stance is that I will support door entry only if masonry work is carried out first. (*) except that work relating to shelter or support can be carried out by any owner without the consent of the others.

Reply to
Scott

The electricity used by the door entry system would be barely measurable.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Would that be relevant to theft of electricity? That's like saying stealing a bag of crisps from Tesco is 'barely measurable' in the company accounts.

Reply to
Scott

If you're worried about it, why not bounce the idea off the Council?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Because the property is managed by Factors (property managers in England) and it is their professional responsbility. I am merely trying to understand the position better. .

Reply to
Scott