Hydrochloric Acid - Where can I get some?

If the scale is so thick, you will get better results by removing the bulk of it mechanically first, leaving much less material for the acid to dissolve.

Bleach everything first to make the job less unsanitary, though this won't remove any scale. Then use various pointed instruments, screwdrivers etc to lever off most of the scale in the largest possible chunks. With a stubby screwdriver or a short awl, you can also get at the deposits around the bend, which may be even thicker than those in the bowl.

Obviously don't hit or stab at it with anything - imagine yourself doing dental hygiene work, only on a larger scale (er, sorry).

Stop when you've got as many large chunks off as possible, but don't bother to scrape the surfaces clean. Scoop or flush the loose pieces away, and then switch to an acid descaler.

And don't let it happen again.

Reply to
Ian White

I think I would fit a new loo rather than doing that.

Reply to
dennis

Maybe you didn't imagine enough chlorine bleach, before you started imagining the rest of it :-)

Reply to
Ian White

I can imagine what happens if you don't get rid of the bleach before you use the acid.

Reply to
dennis

"dennis@home" typed

Harpic + Domestos => Chlorine cough splutter gasp, if I recall my schoolgirl chemistry correctly.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Keith D wrote: re 1/4" of scale on bog:

that should work, if applied concentrated, and boiled for a year or 2. Actually it wouldnt, as you need an acid thats tough enough to eat the organic matter as well as the scale.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Oh yes, and lots of foam and other fun!

Reply to
EricP

The message from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

That happened in Hyde Park some years ago when I was hanging about with some bods from the St John's Ambulance. The first person to pull the French student out of the bogs had to perform a tracheotomy on her. Bit of a bummer to go for a weekend in London, get gassed and have your throat (carefully) cut. Saved her life though.

Reply to
Guy King

You're forgetting the part that comes between the bleach and the acid: a happy half-hour kneeling in front of the loo, chipping out the limescale.

If you can get through all that while the loo is still full of chlorine bleach, then by all means go ahead and add the acid. You will have earned history's cleanest Darwin Award.

Reply to
Ian White

That will chip off largely.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It wouldnt chip off without damaging the plastic pump pipe.

However, I've soaked it in Mr Muscle 100% Limescale Remover, and it's dissolved it enough to scrape it all off.

Thank to all for the help!

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

IRTA "A blister pack of education".

You must use a *lot* of paracetamol.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

That is sort of what I meant.

The proprietary descalers seem to soften limescale as well as dissolve it. Not sure why...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sorry

That's what seemed to happen.

Thanks again

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Detergent as well as acid?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Luckily hydrochloric acid will also remove traces of metal where scrapers have been used.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Kilrock from (good) hardware stores, maybe plumbers' merchants too. Sold as kettle decaler in little bottles (200ml-ish), also gallon or so for £20. It's actually "inhibited" formic acid, whatever that means.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I'll look out for that.

Thanks John

Reply to
Tim S

Builders center got a bottle for £8 got rid of it all new bog

Reply to
avstst1970

Most decent ironmongers sell it as spirits of salts, although it is usually cheaper online.

Reply to
Nightjar