How to Terminate Network Cables

Hi all

Is it possible to DIY an RJ45 plug straight onto the end of Cat 5 network cable? I intend to install an 8 port switch in the loft, but don't feel that my install warants a patch panel. Wanted to stick RJ45 "ends" straight on the cable and plug this into switch - bit of a bodge I know, but don't want to go to the hassle/expense of patch panel, patch leads etc.

If these are available, can anyone point me to supplier and fitting method please?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:17:54 +0100, "thescullster" scrawled:

Yes, although technically not and some people say it's abig no-no but I have never had a problem with some of my temporary connections that have been in for a while and temporary leads that are thrown around. Up to you really.

You need to get a RJ45 crimping tool and some RJ45 plugs. CEF do them and usually have them on the shelf, although online may be cheaper. CPC may be a better option. You also need to know what you're doing.

Reply to
Lurch

Phil, it's a relatively easy thing to de with the correct crimper. You will need to make sure that you use the correct sequence of colours though.

Email me off line and I'll explain it further.

John.

snipped-for-privacy@deletethischisbury.net

(remove deletethis)

Reply to
John

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:17:54 +0100,it is alleged that "thescullster" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

As Lurch has pointed out, some people claim this as a big no-no, I haven't had a problem however doing the same.

The plugs (at least from TLC electrical) come in packs of 10 or 20 with a diagram on the bag of what length of cable to strip etc.

(EIA/TIA 568B is the colour coding most often used for 100baseTX and 10baseT ethernet)

The big no-no issue comes from terminating solid core wire to the plug designed for stranded cable, it requires a higher force to be reliable.

It seems to work quite well short-term.

HTH

Reply to
Chip

Yup, done it loads of times.

You need a cript tool and some plugs. A few boots to go with the plugs is a good idear as well (remeber to fit them before crimping the plug on).

or
for the bits, and

how to wire it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes it is possible.

I did it with throughout my house.

You need to buy a crimper tool to compress the copper terminals in th RJ45 plug against the eight copper cables in the Cat 5 cable.

Some practice will make you do it with perfection.

The most important thing is to cut the eight twisted cables perfectl square, so that when pushed into the plug they all get to the end.

It is also critical to align the cables in the right order. You wil find that order by searching the web. If I find the website later will post it

-- asalcedo

Reply to
asalcedo

Cheapest solution if you have only 8 to do is to buy 4 ready made 1m patch cables (about 60p each,) cut them in half and remake on to the end of the leads using solder/heatshrink or insulating tape joints to make good. Works absolutely fine.

Slurp

Reply to
Slurp

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 18:25:39 +0100, "Slurp" scrawled:

Now that is rough.

Reply to
Lurch

================= Screwfix probably do everything you need. I use this:

Cicero

================== p.s.

I can't find my diagram for the connections but this is pretty clear:

Cicero

No no no no no no no.... no no no! That is a very very bad idea! That is a very nasty bodge, and you'll either not get good connections to begin with, or the cables will fall apart. Do it properly and buy a box of cable, some RJ45s and a half decent crimper (and crimp them properly too :))

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Yes - just make sure you use plugs designed for solid-core cable.

A quick Google only found this

there must be loads of places that sell them. Ideally you'll want to get a proper crimping tool. Connection details are here:

Rob Morley

You *might* be able to bodge it without the proper crimp tool but I wouldn't like to rely on the reliabilty or not...

You can ceratinly buy the plugs and crimp tool but when you can get ready made cables up to 25 or 30m long for few quid is it worth the effort?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Actually does this affect the impedance of the line anymore than what the use of a punchdown socket does if done carefully. Balanced line operation is after all very robust:))

Reply to
tony sayer

Slurp wrote on 16/10/2005 :

Which is what I did long ago, using solid cored 4 pair phone wire in the middle - taking care to match up the twisted pairs.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The nominal line impedance is about 133R. As you say, if you make the joint properly there is no measurable impedance mismatch at all, you would be hard pushed spotting it even using a TDR.

The max useable frequency of cat5 over 10m is only 350MHz anyway.

Much bull$hit is spouted about cat5 termination.

Slurp

Reply to
Slurp

If you want a guarantee that it will work you do the job properly. Otherwise you bodge it and see.

Reply to
dennis

I think you're missing the point. He wants to crimp the plugs onto the end of *fixed* wiring - solid core.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I assume all the joists in your loft are french polished mahogony?

Reply to
Slurp

Why would I want shellac on my joists? They are pressure impregnated with preservative.

Reply to
dennis