How to repair an Addis Superdry floor mop

I've bought at least three Addis Superdry mops in the last 15 years. They work well, but are prone to rusting between the handle tube and the sponge holder, whereupon the tub snaps off and the mop is useless.

The latest mop, about six years old, failed a couple of days ago. New ones cost around £7.99. So I repaired it instead. The website shows further details and pictures.

MM

Reply to
MM

A man after my own heart! Mind you, a lot depends on how you cost your time. If you can earn £100 per hour (I wish!), it's not worth spending more than a few minutes to save £8.

Changing the subject completely . . . I see from the website you referenced that you are also into music software. I have a thread going in a couple of other groups about the feasibility of using an Android tablet to sequence a MIDI file in order to play music on an external instrument. If you think you might be able to contribute, I'll point you in the right direction.

Reply to
Roger Mills

The bit where you say "When it rusts away the next time, you might have to extend the length of the tube handle a bit, depending how tall you are. Or simply buy a suitable length of tubing from a DIY store"

Here is my top tip for finding a suitable length of tubing. "Addis Superdry floor mops at 7.99 make excellent spares for rusty Addis Superdry floor mops"

Reply to
ARW

By the time it rusts through the next time or the time after that, new mops won't be £7.99. They'll be £15.99. Or more. And you're saying you'd spend £7,99 now on a mop when you could repair it for the cost of three pop rivets?

Besides, you don't HAVE to use tubing. A broom handle would serve perfectly well. Dunk the lower end in something like creocote overnight to reduce water ingress. Job's a good'un!

MM

Reply to
MM

Sorry, Roger, but I know zilch about these new-fangled devices like Android, iPhone etc. I'm strictly a Visual Basic 6 man (retired) on Windows XP.

However, leave a link to the thread you mentioned, because I'm always interested about MIDI stuff.

MM

Reply to
MM

Next time it breaks, buy a Vileda supermocio and wringer bucket instead

Reply to
Andy Burns

And buckets and creocote are free?

Reply to
ARW

I'm not exactly sure how to create a link to a thread in another group. You can try: news://news.individual.net:119/ snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net

If that doesn't work - and I suspect it might not - the group is: comp.mobile.android and the thread title is: "USB MIDI Sequencer for Android?"

I'm new to Android tablets (< 3 months) and am trying to push the bounds to see how many things I can make my tablet do, for which I would otherwise need a PC.

[I'm well retired - but have graduated to W7 (but don't fancy W8!). I've done lots of programming in Fortran and Assembler many decades ago, but am content now to let others do the programming - but like to squeeze as much as I can out of their Aps!]
Reply to
Roger Mills

Much better buy a Selkin magic mop.

you need a new sponge aboput once a year with daily use.

The mop itself last foerevr, unelss you miss the cat pissing on the floor you have just mopped and hit the worktop instead.

DAMHIKT

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't you already HAVE buckets? And I should have thought creocote, or formerly creosote was a standard in any garage or shed? I bought 4.5 litres about 6 years ago. Still perfectly all right.

MM

Reply to
MM

No, those types of mop are useless. You need one that you can really squeeze the water out of, like the Addis.

MM

Reply to
MM

Well, that's basically the same principle as the Addis, and it's more expensive, so I don't know quite what the advantage of this one is.

And did you notice this on the Amazon web site for this product?

"REDUCED PRICE DUE TO REPLACEMENT MOP HEADS BEING UNAVAILABLE."

MM

Reply to
MM

At first glance at that I thought you had done something really exciting to it and that was a radio control transmitter lying on the floor,then I realised it was the mop head and lever mechanism. We have the round type so my brain is conditioned to think of that as a Mop shape first. Elsewhere in the thread it appears you don't you think much of the squeeze out type. I have used both at various times over the years as well as that magic mop thing and have found a lot depends on the shape of the wringer section of the wringer bucket.A robust one allows me to use my weight and I find that quicker and easier than faffing around with a lever. Also the mop head can get into narrower places then the rectangular sponge type and at least when the mop is in the wringer it is well into the bucket and that can be approached from all around. I found using the rectangular type too much time was wasted aligning it accurately with the wide bit of a bucket, ok if you had something like a Belfast sink to squeeze over. But each to their own.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

MM scribbled...

The sponge Addis use is s**te. Costs a fortune to replace, every couple of months. Get one of them Magic Mop - as recommended on this thread - they use a much better sponge.

Reply to
Artic

MM scribbled...

Plenty on Ebay or every few months at Lidl.

Reply to
Artic

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk scribbled...

Use a rectangular plastic bowl.

Reply to
Artic

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 01:01:24 -0000, Artic

Reply to
damduck-egg

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 00:59:33 -0000, Artic > >>> They work well, but are prone to rusting between the handle tube and

Every few months? I can buy a replacement sponge for the Addis ~anywhere~, immediately. Boyes, QD, Tesco, Asda.

MM

Reply to
MM

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 00:58:33 -0000, Artic > They work well, but are prone to rusting between the handle tube and

Every couple of months! ??? I don't need to replace mine even once a year, if that.

MM

Reply to
MM

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk scribbled...

I reckon you're looking for excuses. I use a mop in my bog & kitchen - I can't think of anywhere else I'd have to use a mop. In any case you could use a bucket to carry the water/cleaner and pour it into & out of the bowl. If you spill anything, use the mop to wipe it up.

Reply to
Artic