How to remove paint from plaster?

Hi all,

I would like to have walls skimmed. After removing the wallpaper, I've found that walls are covered with large patches of old paint. I have tried to scrape it off to expose the plaster, but it takes about 1 hour to clean 1sq meter using a wallpaper strip knife. Is there another faster way? Perhaps a power tool attachment?

Regards

Rafal

Reply to
Rafal

Can't you skim over the paint? I found at least one patch where a room of ours has been skimmed over a bit of wallpaper. It was done before we got here - but it appears to be well attached to the wall still.

David Hearn

In message , Rafal writes

Yep, a much faster way - don't bother.

A plaster skim will stick fine to painted walls. the walls are 'primed' first with dilute PVA to help the plaster bond to it.

Do remove any flaking or lose paint first though.

If the ceilings are at all dubious I'd board and have them skimmed as well while your at it.

Reply to
chris French

and much cleaner :-)

I just had a whole room of flaky paint 'cleaned'. The machine used was a hand held 'scabbler' that looks like a miniature boring machine (they type they use to dig tunnels). The house was covered top to bottom with brick dust regardless of the doors being completely sealed. Extremely messy job.

Reply to
ANt

Thank you very much for all helpful suggestions

Reply to
Rafal