Stripping paint from plaster

This topic has been discussed a number of times, but I have a further question that I haven't seen addressed yet. Is it possible to chemically strip paint from plaster? The conventional strippers I've looked at seem to indicate they're for wood, metal, masonry, etc. -- more solid materials.

I've been painting some 50-year-old plaster walls, not painted in probably 35+ years, where some parts are peeling due to steam (outside bathroom door, in laundry room), and I'd like to get a good stab at removing the paint to prevent repeeling after repainting. Did some sanding/scraping, but I'm wondering if there's an easier way.

Reply to
Pete from Boston

yeah stripper works a buddy did a bathroom

Reply to
hallerb

Stripper works. I've used the orange citrus smelling stuff on my walls. If the paint is already peeling, a razorblade works remarkably well at removing the paint. You can clean most of a wall in a few hours and then follow up with the stripper on any paint patches that are stuck too firmly for the razorblade.

Of course, this is assuming it isnt lead based paint.

dickm

Reply to
dicko