How to loosen a torx head screw on washing machine drum

I need to take off the pulley at the back of the drum on a washing machine, it is held on by one of these torx head things but it aint shifting. I tried wedging the pulley to stop it turning and applied as much pressure as I could without slipping but to no avail. I dont think thumping it with a hammer will do the bearings much good so not resorted to that yet. I suspect it may have thread lock applied to it.

Any ideas?

Reply to
ss

Apply heat - it will break down the threadlock bond. If you can get at it safely use a blowlamp. If not get the end of a 1/2" bar red hot and press it against the bolt to heat it.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In message , ss writes

Not a left handed thread by any chance?

Reply to
Bill

I have tried both ways but to be honest not sure I did email the maker of the machine but who knows if they will reply.

Reply to
ss

This is the offending screw.....

[IMG]
ss

a red hot rod will release the threadlock - it only needs to get to

150/200 centigrade Almost certain the be a standard RH thread as the drum will turn both ways during operation so no benefit to use a LH thread.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Used a heat gun and a few more bangs with a hammer and off it came.

Thanks to all for advice.

Reply to
ss

That may be so, but when I did the bearings in out old Hotpoint a few years ago, it *was* - for some reason - a LH thread anyway!

Reply to
Bob Eager

It may have been a Hotpoint I came across that had a left-hand thread, which was odd because it also had a locktab.

Reply to
thirty-six

Bob Minchin spake thus:

The drum might turn both ways during washing but don't they only go one way (clockwise?) when spinning?

Reply to
Scion

Just for interest, I got a reply from candy although I have since solved the problem, regarding how to undo the screw. They wont give tech advice and I have to call out an engineer. Yeah right!

Reply to
ss

It's probably because they provide the information with a new bearing and associate parts when you buy from them.

Reply to
thirty-six

Good idea rather than drilling.

Reply to
skanthanathan1

Another old message popping up out of nowhere (from Jan 2012). In case anyone's interested, you can find the original post here:

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Tap the end of the screw/torx driver with a hammer to shock it before attempting to turn it.

Use a torx bit in a hammer drill/driver - to do the same as above.

Use a socket set with the torx bit fitted to a small socket - perhaps a

1/4 inch socket set. The socket ratchet handle will give you more leverage.
Reply to
alan_m

Yes something very odd going on with the archiving system somewhere, obviously. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Me decided to weld a rod and turn anti clock wise or clock wise .

Reply to
skanthanathan1
2 T40 snapped, one haven't have the receipt not able to refund. Didn't trie d local shop. Halfords said life garundee is it right spelling? Are genuine refunded. Bought a vodka 1/2 bottle Sainsbury brand forgot the double Deck er the cashier reminded but it's kept for the cashier. Etc. I put it somew here forgotten . But initially bought it for tool seller said don't want it . Etc
Reply to
skanthanathan1

Yesterday when cutting the lamb neck. I thought about the magpie the one I know , which when taking any food left out, it's make its sound. So I know. But today one took with make any sound you think is the same one. Still o ne on sticked glass window.. none came yet.

Reply to
skanthanathan1

The washing machine may not have a screw loose , the poster looks as if they may have.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg