How to fix a socket

I thought members might be interested in this remarkably inventive method of fixing a 13 amp socket. How many regs does it break?

John Armstrong

Needs a log in. Could be a dodgy password stealing fake site. Avoid.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

phone number though...so not a dodgy site

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

No it is not.

Get f***ed, again.

Interesting idea, not convinced that it is illegal and if it is illegal, it shouldn't be.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It only requires a Facebook account.

Or could be a regular Facebook video.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I am amused at the universal use of a power driver, does nobody use a screw driver any more.

Reply to
jon

Is it any different to, say, screwing into wooden battens already behind the plasterboard?

Reply to
alan_m

Yes please elaborate if you saw it as I'm not on facebook in any case. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I am amazed that nobody has the courtesy to actually describe the installation for those of us who cannot see and those who do not have facebook accounts. It would only seem polite to do so rather than slinging stupid remarks about for no apparent reason. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You’re not missing a great deal.

It’s a single 13amp socket being fitted into a hole cut into a laminated MDF panel (or similar). Judging by the insulated earth wire I imaging it’s in a motorhome kitchen unit.

There’s a cavity behind the hole and rather then using a plasterboard type self-clamping back box, two short pieces of plastic pipe are being used instead of battens to anchor the securing screws.

To grip the plastic pipe sections the fitter has used rather oversize wood screws that don’t fit the recessed holes in the socket so it looks rather naff.

Tim

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Tim+

The only failing is there isn't a back-box.

I would have used something intended for this type of situation:

It might even get Adam's approval.

Reply to
Fredxx

Not if they can help it, especially if a unit has to come in and out several times during testing and repair

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's a guy fixing a socket to plasterboard without using a back box. He screwed into a couple of pieces of plastic pipe instead.

Reply to
GB

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Its a clever way of using a pair of plastic tubes which are what the screws that hold the socket in place screw into with the tubes quite loose as the tubes are inserted into the hole in the wall with lots of space behind it. Then as the screws are tightened, that pulls the socket into place and holds it as securely as if the screws had been inserted into a back box.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Regs aside, is that practically a problem?

I moved a lightswitch recently (solid wall) and didn't have a backbox handy so I chipped out enough plaster for the gubbins to get it sat nicely on the wall and put a couple of screws in, just into the plaster, to hold it in place temporarily.

I've since been back and done a proper job but I couldn't help but think a couple of wall plugs would have save me a bunch of mess and hassle.

Reply to
R D S

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

I didn't think of you until you politely asked for a description.;

I wouldn't have bothered for those, its so easy to get one and stay anonymous.

Some of us aren't into being polite, you whingeing bugger.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nope, I don't have any myself. My sockets are all mounted on holes in the hollow concrete blocks or holes in 4"x4" vertical steel RHS.

Reply to
Kron

Those pipes will probably leak now.

Reply to
jon

Yeah I'm also amazed at people using electric drills to drill holes, does nobody use a wheel brace any more?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Christ! Just make the hole narrower and screw directly into that!

Reply to
Andy Bennet