How small can a spare bedroom be

Mary Fisher snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk typed

There were thousands of these 30s three bed houses built all over the UK, the four bed version usually with an integral garage had a much better layout with a bigger kitchen. My grandfather build whole roads of these with mock Tudor facades in Streathem, Twickenham and I think Golders green. Nice sturdy houses even today as long as the wall ties have been replaced. :-(

Reply to
Mark

There are thousands in Leeds alone!

Ooh! there's posh :-)

Some on our estate were even smaller than ours.

Oh we don't have anything mock, just pure inter-war brick!

We haven't needed wall-ties so far - but the house hasn't any foundations and we live on a hill, I keep wondering how far we've all slipped!

They're OK. We've lived here for more than forty years and don't want to move now. But it's amazing how many people are having sideways and upwards extensions - and some both. We just keep adding a shed ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Keep an eye on the flank wall for any sign of bowing, or a gap appearing between brick and 1st floor window frame. Is yours front doors together or opposite end of semi.

Well it _will_ have foundations, depth and size are another matter.

Reply to
Mark

Oh we do! We do a regular examintion of the fabric, outside and inside.

Opposite.

It doesn't. There was a time in the 70s when no building society would give a loan on any house on the estate because of that. Someone challenged the council and threatened legal action because a previous council had passed plans for it.

Suddenly building societies lent again.

I don't know if it was co-incidence of course, I wasn't involved.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Was it ever harmonious ?

I'd live in the shed (or a plastic bag in the garden), if my 2 girls had to share a room that small

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Mary Fisher snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk typed

Ah that way round is best, if your neighbours are quiet.

Oh dear.. I think the Ministry of Works handed out the basic design of these. Your builders must have lost page 1. Foundations...

Reply to
Mark

I ws otherwise engaged at the time (breeding and rearing) and didn't have the energy to look into it, we knew because a) a neighbour couldn't sell her house, b) a friend couldn't get a mortgage on one and c) a barrister friend told us about it.

The builder wasn't in business any more by then.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

LOL!

We had more trouble with the three adolescent boys. The younger ones ganged up on the oldest who slept in his boots and never bathed. Until he got a girl friend (who he married and they're still together, coming up to 25 years later ... )

It was mayhem. I hated boys.

Everything's relative - and don't forget that it was before the days of pop stars and fashions - well, there were hot pants and Kate Bush but it wasn't really serious.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

From memory, being able to compress your hips to 450mm and jump out of a window is one, and ventilation another.

It's more a fire sfatey and ventilatin thing in terms of it being a 'habitable space' rather than a cupboard, or bathroom.

Hogher standards of fre sfaety and emergency exit accrue to spaces where people may be expected to saty for extended periods.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Flexible pipe?

Reply to