How much to buy and fix this sign?

On Mon 24 Nov08 16:22, Conor wrote in :

That price breakdown you gave earlier is really useful.

It seems there's a notoriously wide range of price variation for goods which are usually bought by local authorities and large companies (such as road signs). So an insight into production/supplier cost is particularly useful. Thank you.

Reply to
EssG

I'm the OP and I'm impressed you saw that detail!

You're quite right. The bollard/post is down in the photo. In fact it got torn from its mounting and is lying there.

Did you use some software to enhance the image to see that level of detail in the image?

photo:

When I enlarge it I just get a blocky picture which doesn't show much detail of the actual post/bollard.

Reply to
EssG

They do *look* like they've been shooped, not to say they *have* been, but the sort of things that seem odd are that the "security post -->" sign seems to have a halo around it, it looks very pixelated compared to the other sign and its straight edges are very closely aligned to horizontal and vertical with in the image.

I might also be that you've resized the image using a poor choice of resampling algorithm and saved it with slightly too low a jpg quality.

Reply to
Andy Burns

On Tue 25 Nov08 22:15, Andy Burns wrote in :

Andy, your comments on compressing photos are interesting. Maybe you can advise about compressing those photos. Below the steps I took. How could I have better preserved quality (without increasing the file size)?

(1) I took the original photo at about 4 megapixels which gave a file of about 2 MB.

(2) Using Irfanview (Image > Resize/resample) I set a new size of about 8 inches wide. The "Resize Method" was Lanczos. Pressed "OK".

(3) To reduce the file size for uploading, I saved the file using the "RIOT" plugin for Irfanview which lets me set a file size and will compress to that size. I used about 200 KB.

EssG