How much to buy and fix this sign?

On 23 Nov 2008, geoff wrote in news:L2BKdaDY+ snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com:

Dunno. Admittedly the posted message is not about DIY techniques but it is about materials costs. DIYers re-laying the front or side of the house might well need a sign. Maybe for their gate or one to put on a short pole.

If you're up to it, a DIYer would erect the pole in concrete himself if a tradesman's charges were too high.

Reply to
betho

Now, now, girls, behave yourselves, you're in public now, so put your handbags away and do your makeup again. Dave

Reply to
Dave

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@mail.invalid" writes

No - it's a matter of getting some local quotes, then he'll see if he's willing to pay or not

If someone says that £200 is too much, but he can't get anyone to do the job for that price, what's the point ?

Reply to
geoff

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@mail.invalid" writes

no its not - it's a lazy bod from a management company trying to save himself some footwork

Not DIY related at all

Reply to
geoff

In this case, we don't have 3 signs.

We have one. And it cost £500.

In fact, it was actually closer to £600 but I wrote £500 to avoid any danger of overstating the price when the figure was rounded.

Reply to
EssG

I'll bear that in mind. The castors on mine aren't up to moving the car around though.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Indeed, you have one, it doesn't do the job it's supposed to since everyone, including me, thinks it's a direction sign to the hut where the security guard brews his tea. Three signs as mentioned above will fit the usual scheme for marking hazards. If you wanted to be accurate I suppose "Bollard" would be more descriptive to most people than "Post".

Jolly good, shame that it's crap, eh?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I've seen road menders push shovels under the wheels which then slide over the road surface. No need for jacks.

Reply to
Brimstone

Wouldn't work on my old (and replacement) cars, even though they do have a rear axle. It wouldn't work on the run interim banger I have ATM either as I habitually leave it in gear.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So 3x =A359.40 is the thick end of =A3500?

Riight.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Says the bloke who ignored the fact the OP said it was =A3500 for one=20 sign and that 3x =A359.40 is a shitload less than =A3500.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

I'll give you wifeys email address. If you need one, drop her an email.=20 They deliver and are VAT registered. You'll just have to find someone=20 to put it up but it's not rocket science. =A3500 is a truly horrific=20 price.

snipped-for-privacy@classic-signs.co.uk

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Reply to
Conor

Indeed. My missuses firm will work with whatever format you send them in. Hell, the sign software they use even lets them extrapolate the size from a photo.

Reply to
Conor

Says the bloke who ignored the fact the OP said it was £500 for one sign and that 3x £59.40 is a shitload less than £500.

Conor

3 times 59.40 is a shitload less than 500 pounds. In fact, it's less than 180.00 pounds. Or am I missing something?
Reply to
BigWallop

Yes. HTH.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

They are to close and have failed to disconnect their background knowledge in their interpretation of what they are actually seeing.

It's very difficult to be truely objective about something you have spent any appreciable time and effort on. You see what you think is there, not what actually is.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Whoosh.....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember alan@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) saying something like:

Grimly Curmudgeon

A fire appliance can probably knock most things over on the way in, but the bill for replacing the bumper afterwards might not be small.

An ambulance on the other hand might be build less like a battering ram and if damaged might have to be taken out of service immediately - ? TMH

Would you really want an ambulance bumping over kerbs and trying to scrape over a flattened post while the medic inside is trying to get a drip into you in what is at present your last 6 minutes of life?

Owain

Reply to
Owain