How many uk.d-i-y members does it take to change a lightbulb?

Never? I've heard a minority that do ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Absolute ballock's. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

This bloke is a larf! Clueless, rude and pompous. TW

Reply to
TimW

Totally wisdom from this Tim+. A nugget of truth in the dirty dull swamp of ukdiy. Tim W

Reply to
TimW

I'd love either of you to explain this. How does adding an apostrophe where not appropriate help clarity? And example would suffice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How many i's are there in "initial"?

How many is are there in "initial"?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Both wrong.

How many 'i's are there in 'initial'.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

People often refer to css (as well as CSS) re html You can have a css file or a css, or several css's where it would be confusing to have several csss, although not much of a problem with CSSs. The apostrophe I think would clarify the pronunciation, although I wouldn't use it myself

- it just seems wrong.

Tim w

Reply to
TimW

Reply to
Huge

Precisely.

Also "www" as "dub-dub-dub".

Reply to
Huge

dub-dub-dub tends to be said by the same crowd as earl, IME

Reply to
Andy Burns

Indeed.

Reply to
Huge

That is an appropriate use.

Without the apostrophe that sentence makes no sense. There is no such noun as 'is'.

You'll have to try harder. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't they say "dib-dib-dib" too?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Isn't that Boy Scouts?

Reply to
Huge

Is an abbreviation clearly. Your point being?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No idea who put that picture of a lightbulb on our bus!

Reply to
Adam Funk

Excellent! You too.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I would have said tht the post saying it was total rubbish was total rubbish, but it seems that both forms are correct. However, saying that it differs depending on pronunciation is total rubbish.

My own view is that I wouldn't use an apostrophe and it looks wrong when someone does.

Reply to
Mike Fleming

Some years ago someone in alt.usage.english said that the use of an apostrophe to form the plural of a set of initials was mandatory in the "house style" of IBM, the computer company.

The purpose was apparently to make absolutely clear that the "s" was not part of the string of letters.

Reply to
Peter Duncanson