How many plug sockets?

No they're sockets, or socket-outlets in formal BS 7671-speak. (Cue '60s BBC2: "it might be a plug to you, but it's a socket-to-me" boom boom.)

"Plug-top" has become common industry parlance for "plug" but AIUI it originally referred to the body of the plug containing the terminals and fuse (if any), but excluding the external pins.

Reply to
Andy Wade

My dads has 11 in a three bed. Needless to say there are a few extentions about.

Reply to
dennis

I don't see what business it is of the NHBC how many sockets I have in my house.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

It isn't. But it is their business to suggest how many should go into a new house built to NHBC standards.

Andy (A mere 40 sockets here)

Reply to
Andy Champ

About half what we need.

30, I think. And another 12 in the conservatory and 18 in the garage/workshop.
Reply to
Skipweasel

When we lived in Hounslow the old dear up the road had the original electricity company "minimum installation" - two sockets and two lights, IIRC. She had a flying lead running to upstairs to power a bedside lamp and that was it. She also had an outside toilet. The up-side to all this was she had a peppercorn rent.

Reply to
Skipweasel

I have 54 outlets in my study alone. Not counting the unused IEE connectors on the UPS.

Reply to
Huge

It's bad enough that I'm reading this (and replying to it) and now you want me to go and count sockets? :o)

Reply to
Huge

But at the same time as we're being harrassed about using less energy maybe having so many sockets encourages you to waste energy? If you had limited sockets you'd have to unplug chargers and other wasteful leave-ons wouldn't you?

Reply to
Mogga

No, it just makes using what you're using more convenient/easier/safer. It's the attitude to energy use (and saving £££s) that matters in terms of using less.

We've got two toilets: a friend once told me we should pay more in water charges. Must have thought that two toilets meant we peed twice as often...

Not sure about that. If you have plenty sockets you'll leave things - like wall warts - plugged in and they take some current even when not actually in use. If you have to unplug them to plug in something else they can't. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In a 4-bed mid-60s 3-storey terrace, about 16, from memory. The wiring's original, about half of the sockets and light switches look to be original, and the circuit breaker box still has its signed QA sticker dated some time in early 1965. Needless to say, there are a few more extensions and multiplugs than most houses have. I'm leaving it up the the next owner to think about a total rewire. Just out of interest, is there a minimum height for new-fit sockets? A neighbour rewired his (identical) house, and fitted a lot more sockets, all about 500mm up the wall.

Reply to
Robert Campbell

Not for new-fit sockets as such but for sockets in new build (including extensions etc) - minimum 450mm. New sockets in existing build are exampt IIRC. I guess they just did what they were used to. Access for differently abled etc., who may purchase the property after you.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I can see that, but it's also the point I was making. If you're bothered, you turn them off when they're not being used.

I they didn't do that then they would do what a developer did for a brand new 2 bed flat in 1978. Total 12 (most of which were doubles).

At least by specifying the standard some scumbag cheap skate might be prevented from making a balls-up just to save a tiny fraction of the total cost.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Surely it's up to the buyer to decide how many sockets (and whereabouts) in the house?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , Mogga writes

I'm not sure, a quick estimate gives around 150, but that includes shed, garage etc., and also fixed_in_place extension sockets.

Reply to
bof

In message , F writes

Sounds a bit like the government wanting to CO2_tax cars on CO2gm/km, rather than just putting the CO2_tax on the petrol you actually use / the CO2 you actually emit . . . and then not bothering to CO2_tax domestic gas and electricity.

Reply to
bof

Just had a count up and In this 4 bed house there are 125 sockets, this does not include shed or any 4 way exts of which there are a few.

Reply to
Graeme

44 in a 2 bed.
Reply to