how long for concrete set?

Concreted in a few wooden posts today (4x4), self mix 6:1 how long before I can put the rails on and start thumping nails in to them so I dont loosen the posts.

Reply to
ss

Dry or wet mix? If dry, did you pack it in solid with a pummelling thingy?

If dry and yes, straight away.

If you used wet 6:1 I would give it 2-3 days as it's not a strong mix.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It was wet, actually I will be using screws which should have less impact on the posts (just me being melodramatic) but I will leave for 3 days in any case. I will use the three days to `paint` the slats and rails

Reply to
ss

36 hrs in this wether

to be safe

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK - If screws, and you are not going to dong the posts about excessively, 24 hours...

It will be a solid mass by then, just not a very strong solid mass which means if you start beating the posts up, you might just crack the block and get a sloppy post.

Dry mix rammed solid is actually quite firm immediately.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
ss

IME 6:1 has no strength until day 3, so at least that long.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

keep adding water ... it will help the set, don't let it dry out

Once it goes away from 'green' its into 2nd stage ( 72 Hrs+)and you are fine ... just don't go nut for at least 5 days.

Reply to
Rick Hughes