How do you tell if a chimney needs lining?

We're thinking about replacing a tastless old gasfire with a woodburner. The chap in the fireplace shop said that the chimney wouldn't necessarily need lining if it had been in regular use with either an open or gas fire, and that they'd do a smoke test to see if it did.

Is that correct? Is that all you need to do to check that a chimney is sound? It's a 1930's house, BTW.

Reply to
mike

inspection and judgement are also required.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Mmm. Styrctly it SHOULD be lined, bu you vcan get away with a flexible.

IIRC te riles are like this.

If was open fire, and still open fire, and always been open for, no need to line.

If was designed for open fire and is now gas fire oil stove or woodburner, lining mandatory unless it can be shown the chimney has been constructed in accordance with XYZ regulations (which it won't be as its

1930)

If chimney is prey 1969 (? thereabouts?) flexible liners allowed. If not full double skinned metal liner must be used at huge expense.

Such regulations come into effect when *any material change is done* i.e. when installing a NEW fire even of of the same type as the old...

The specifications for woodburners are far more stringent than gas or oil fired appliances, as the gas efflux temperatures may be far higher, and soot deposition and chimney fires is a real possibility: Hence flues that are insulated and can run at high temps are desirable to avoid soot condensation.

That from memory is the position. My woodburner flue of less than a storey was the best part of a grand..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ER no. A liner is mandatory actually.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You're right for the fire the OP wants to fit. (but not for a gas fire).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

So if a liner is mandatory for a woodurner in a fireplace that was previoulsy used with gas, the advice from the guy in the fireplace shop is obvioulsy dubious?

NP, have you got any idea what the payback time for a woodburner/chimney lining are as opposed to gas or have you done it for aesthetic reasons? I'm guessing that even with the price of gas and likely increases in the future, the woodburner is a (very) long term investement.

Reply to
mike

I was buldig a house, and wanted open fires, and had a spare woodburng stove so we stuck it ina bedroom..

It cots bloody fortune to put the liner in. About a years supply f oil..for teh while house.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks, I think the costs over and above the actual woodburner soon make it seem far less attractive... although they do look great...

Reply to
mike

If you have access to the wood for free, and you like the idea, it will pay for itself.

If you don't, oil will have to treble before its really worthwhile.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher