Lighten Dark Wood.

I have a large (30sq metre) old (1970) pine ceiling. I'd like to retain the wood, but it is too dark. Is there any treatment that might do it, before I give in and get the paint out?

I tried belt sanding, but I'm not man enough for the job.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

I'd imagine belt sanding a floor to be hard graft but doing a ceiling upside down...???

Why is it dark..Is it just the natural darkening of age ? .

Would it not be easier ( albeit more expensive ) taking it down and putting a new one up .

Does it need to be pine .Is that not a bit dated . I had a pine ceiling in my bathroom coupled with pine cladding on the walls and one day just decided it HAD to go as it was so dark I felt . I ripped ( literally) it out and p/boarded the walls and dropped the ceiling using P/board and coving and painted it white with the skirting/surround/door coloured and put in new lights ( along with a new bath/shower screen/tiles ) then got the floor sanded and coated . .Best thing I ever did .

Stuart .

Reply to
Stuart B

Try bleaching a bit of it in an obscure place...with bleach of course. :-P

Reply to
George

If it was originally varnished, forget lightening it. If not, 2 part woodworking bleach is usually effective. You would need to take it down to do it safely though. I'd go for the paint

Reply to
Stuart Noble

another option is to brush white emulsion on and imediately wipe it off. You get a whitish result with all the grain visible. Looks good with pine.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've seen today on the TV some ad for some 4 in 1 stuff from JML or suchlike that claims to clean, darken, lighten, remove marks, I think it claimed to do the ironing too though so maybe it's wildly optimistic.

Reply to
Mogga

My wife wants me to find out more about this....

Reply to
TheOldFellow

renovator is the ultimate 4-in-1 solution for wood, it cleans, fully restores, revives the original colour and provides a lasting shine

Think thats the ad on there.

Reply to
Mogga

Nothing about doing the ironing though....

Reply to
TheOldFellow

In message , TheOldFellow writes

I think "Salicylic acid" might do what you need... but this is a grainy memory from a 'boat man' talking about cleaning up old/darkened wood.

Do your own research though, as I say, it is just a distant memory :-)

Hth Someone

Reply to
somebody

IIRC that's what's used for eating verrucae off feet...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I've never known any acid have a beneficial effect on any wood

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Oh I don't know..surely tannic acid is what keeps oak oaky?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can make a nice black ink from oak apples and iron. Why they seem to have more tannin than the tree itself I can't imagine.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Have they cut that bit out? ;-) Have you seen that inflating shirt ironer? She might like one of those instead. :)

Reply to
Mogga