chimney cleaning, and a few Questions

i converted my fireplace to propane a few years back. i was recommneded to me that i have the chimney cleaned---this is a non-vented system, so the flue is permanently closed.

should this chimney be periodically cleaned again? more than anything, i'm thinking a visual inspection of the lining is a good thing.

also, i have a fuel oil fired furnace, and of course it has its own chimney. i have never had this cleaned. should this be serviced/inspected by a traditional chimney sweep, or should i call whoever services my furnace?

finally, both chimneys need their concrete caps replaced---sorry i don't know if i have the terminology correct, but i'm talking about the concrete that gets placed on top. it seems to serve the purpose of sealing up the joint between the brick and the chimney lining.

i have no idea what type of contractor to call to handle such a small job. do chimney sweeps typically offer expertise like this?

thanks for reading all of this...

Reply to
bitbucket

I understand some areas the chimney sweeps will take care of it and in others they may recommend someone.

I suggest that you have the caps taken care of at once. A damaged cap can cause some very expensive and dangerous damage. At the same time have both flues checked and any work needed done.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Permanently closed how? Sealed below/above/both? Why should it be cleaned? Accumulated crud- good reason. So clean it, repair the masonry cap, close it off above and below, and be done with it. Keeping water and critters out will return the most benefit to you.

HTH, John

bitbucket wrote:

Reply to
barry

| > i have no idea what type of contractor to call to handle such a small | > job. do chimney sweeps typically offer expertise like this? | >

| > thanks for reading all of this... | | I understand some areas the chimney sweeps will take care of it and in | others they may recommend someone.

i called someone who was recommended to me, and he can do both.

| I suggest that you have the caps taken care of at once. A damaged cap | can cause some very expensive and dangerous damage. At the same time have | both flues checked and any work needed done.

good advice. thanks. the contractor will be out tomorrow...

Reply to
bitbucket

Did you get an answer to that? The fellow who does the annual cleaning/maintenance of my oil boiler said that it's not necessary to have someone come out for the chimney.

Curly Sue