Chimney Lining...

I'm thinking of DIYing a chimney lining. (Mostly because I can't get someone to do it until Feb) Background is that I opened up a fireplace which had a hideous gas fire, got it swept - sweep suggested a liner as it looked like it had had a chimney fire in the past - there already is a register plate and it seems OK, so want to install a wood burner, but need the liner in.

I've read a few things online & watched someone line another chimney in the house for a range cooker (big aga-like thing) and it seems fairly straightforward. Access to the roof will be the hardest part due to the local topology, but ought to be managable.

Put the liner in, fill with vermiculite, seal it up, put pot back on, connect stove and off I go?

So any gotchas, pointers, etc. ?

Cheers,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Gordon, are you going to use the flexible stuff or a jointed sections?

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410

As I understand it any work on a flue requires building control approval nowadays.

Henry

Reply to
Henry

I'd start here

Jonathan Pearson

Flexible. Only becaue I've never heard of jointed stuff!

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

1) Do you really need a liner? It's a lot of trouble, if not needed. 2) The corrugated flexible liners are not suitable for solid fuel.
Reply to
Chris Bacon

When the chappie was in to sweep the chimney (2 weeks ago) he recommended it. He said it looked like the chimney had had a fire in recent years (it's been blocked with a gas fire in it for the past 7 or 8). There were a lot of glassy tarry deposits on the walls, and when he swept it what came back down wasn't soot, but a bucket load of crumbly mortar and half a brick...

Other houses in the street aren't lined (that I know of), but then they might not have suffered a chimney fire either...

Ah, that's good to know. No-one has mentioned that to me before.

Thanks,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

You do need a liner. the internal dimension should be matched to the woodburner you use. There are different grades depending on fuel, ie for gas, wood, coal

Reply to
mmzz

I'm not sure if this is what Chris means but my chimney liner consists of a number of 1m long steel(?) pipes of about 20cm diameter which you slot together and then slide up the chimney. This means you can build up from the bottom (If there's room to work) which was great for me because a) I can't stand heights and b) my chimney is difficult to get to from outside.

OTOH I do have a 'walk-in' fireplace so that made it easier :-)

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

The double skinned flexible stuff for wood stoves has to be installed in one, un jointed, length. It also has to be fed from top down and in the right direction. I don't think diameter less than 125mm is allowed for solid fires.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Ah right. I see now. Unfortunately, the flue isn't vertical. Theres a zig-zag as it goes up to get round the bedroom fireplace directly above it.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Thanks for this and the other replies! I'm not looking for solid fuel, wood only!

If I can easilly get all the bits locally, I'll have a bash at it between the solstice and the new year.

Cheers,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I was referring to single-skinned S/S "hosepipe".

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Hi

This thread sparked an interest...

Out of interest, can a liner be used with an open wood/coal fire and if so, what sort of size is needed - bigger than that for a stove presumably?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Since when is wood not a solid fuel?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Might pay you to ge a new double insulated pipe scetioned thing...rather than install a flexible.

You have to drop from the top dowm. Really needs scaffolding.

Easy unles your flue is kinky. Then you have serious problems.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No ity doesn't.

I had it dione about 4 years ago and it came in sections.

You can't transport 6 meters of kinked double walled pipe on many lorries :D

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do you really need a house fire?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I thought you only need the double skinned, double insulated stuff if it was possible for some to touch it and accidentally burn themselves?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

It's kinky...