How do I find a kitchen worktop fitter?

We fancy changing ours, probably for one one the Encore range made by bushboard. Our kitchen fitter says he hasn't got the special tools to do it. One fitter I've talked to says Wickes will get it cut but they say no. How do I find a fitter with all the tools? |P

Reply to
goodolpete

goodolpete wibbled on Tuesday 30 March 2010 07:46

Yellowpages and personal recommendations, then phone them and ask.

If you said where you were, someone here who lives near you might recommend someone.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Screwfix do a cheap MDF cutting template I found it quite easy with great results just make sure you use a nice new blade

Reply to
Vass

Can't your kitchen fitter recommend one, or is your kitchen the first one he's done?

In theory you should be able to call up a carpenter to come and do it, but a friend did this and got a really terrible job. Personal recommendation from a friend? Failing that, say what area you're in, and someone here might be able to recommend someone.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I used mrmitre,

Think it was about =A370 for the call out and first cut. Nice neat job.

Reply to
Tim

SNIP

Thanks for all your replies. I live in Milton Keynes, so Mrmitre looks a possibility. |P

Reply to
goodolpete

In the past I've had it done twice, by different joiners - both just standard run-of-the-mill joiners as opposed to kitchen fitters as such. Bothe had all the necessary kit, and both did a great job. I'd have thought most of them would do this sort work as part of their normal trade.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Widen your search to shop fitters as well.

We had our kitchen done by one - pure chance that we found him. He was in the kitchen suppliers when we were asking for recommendations for fitters.

Is there something out of the ordinary about the worktops? It seems very strange that a kitchen fitter cannot cut and join worktops. The cost of the usual special tools is not great if spread over a few jobs.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I'd suggest you get a better 'kitchen fitter' in. If he hasnt got a router and worktop jig, then he cannot really be doing it properly can he? You are too far away for me to offer my services, but I'm sure that there must be 50 competent fitters within 10 miles of you who would be prepared to come and give you a price.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Ask bushboard for their list of recommended fitter. If they don't have one, choose a different product.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q