How are single socket spurs adequately protected on a 32A ring?

And what about the poor suckers that have fuses from that batches that didn't blow at the correct current, I suppose they deserve it to for being stupid enough to trust electricians with their lives?

Reply to
dennis

Did an elecrician buy or install the fuse?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You tell me. You claim to know it all.

Lets just say that a 32A radial uses 4mm cable apart from the 2.5mm unfused spurs.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Your the one claiming 32A radials are dangerous.

Are you saying there are people stupid enough to spur off in 2.5 mm even when they know its wrong on ring mains? Why don't they go the whole hog and use 1.5 mm as that can supply a single spur without additional problems?

Reply to
dennis

Probably.

Reply to
dennis

I am claiming so such thing. I am claiming that you do not know about radials.

There are people who spur off a 4mm 32A radial in 2.5mm. But you didn't know that was allowed by the regs. Your lack of knowledge of the regs is showing again.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Probably not. Most people do not call an electrician out to swap a fuse in a plug.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I don't need to know the regs allow that, I wouldn't do it as I consider it no better than a ring and I don't like those either. I prefer safety to cost savings.

Reply to
dennis

So stop incorrectly quoting the regs then.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I didn't quote the regs.

Reply to
dennis

Obviously, as you have never read them.

You just made comment on a radial that was incorrect.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The comment I said was that people with sense don't put 2.5mm T&E cable into

32A circuits and that applies to rings and spurs and anything else. You may regard it as wrong in which case I will still say its wrong. I am not alone, there are many members of the IEE that also hold this view. I don't really care what the regs say as I regard them as wrong and encouraging dangerous practices just to save a miniscule amount of cash. What I propose does not breech the regs and is an improvement on them which is something you cannot deny.
Reply to
dennis

That is not what you said. It is just lie after lie with you. That plus careful snipping of posts so that your lies do not show up. What you said was "That would be why they added radials with breakers that actually match the cables because they didn't need to".

Is it easier for you to lie than just admit that you made a comment about radials that was incorrect?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

And where is that false? They did exactly that but not with 32A breakers.

Well state which one was incorrect the one you quoted was correct.

So far you have been posting stuff calling me a liar while quoting stuff that isn't a lie.

Reply to
dennis

The comment I said was that people with sense don't put 2.5mm T&E cable into

32A circuits and that applies to rings and spurs and anything else. You may regard it as wrong in which case I will still say its wrong. I am not alone, there are many members of the IEE that also hold this view. I don't really care what the regs say as I regard them as wrong and encouraging dangerous practices just to save a miniscule amount of cash. What I propose does not breech the regs and is an improvement on them which is something you cannot deny.

I think that is rubbish saying people with sense don't put 2.5mm2 cable into

32A circuits. It suggests that you do not understand the reasoning behind the regs, which from a quick scan of the other posts looks well explained. If overload protection is covered by another means then a 32A mcb will in most circumstances provide adequate fault protection to 2.5mm2 cable. In fact there are situations where the use of 4mm2 cable INCREASES the risk under fault conditions. The reason is that the cpc conductor in 4mm2 cable is only 1.5mm2, so under fault conditions the touch voltage will be higher than with 2.5mm2 cable.

Regards Bruce

Reply to
BruceB

Oh I understand the idea, I just don't agree with it.

Yes its well explained why they think its OK, it doesn't mean everyone agrees with it.

It relies on the fuse in the plug to give overload protection to the spur. While this is fine in principle it isn't a good idea. The plug fuse is a user serviceable part and is going to be abused, we know it is abused. It also not tested. Virtually no PAT testing is done and even then they seldom actually check the fuse is OK. Electricians doing PIRs don't even care about the plug fuse despite it being

*essential* to protect the circuit they have just tested and approved. The majority of householders don't even know its essential.

It is far more sensible to rate the breaker so that the cable is protected whatever the householder does rather than saying well he would still be alive if he hadn't done something to the fuse in the plug. Its like supplying a power press where the user has to fit parts to make it safe.

That sounds more like a case to make the CPC bigger not to rely on the consumer provided plug fuse to protect the circuit.

BTW AFAIK 32A radials are not the preferred radial, certainly not by me.

Reply to
dennis

[...]

So it is an incorrect comment about 32A radials that you made then. You just said radials and made no mention of MCB sizes. You are only mentioning 32A radials now as you now have an idea how they can be wired up, something that you did not know before I corrected you.

Well your quote is in this post.

Maybe your are stupid and not a liar then.

-- Adam

Reply to
Adam Wadsworth

snipped-for-privacy@t35g2000yqj.googlegroups.com...

So how do you test these made up in your imagination fuses then?

-- Adam

Reply to
Adam Wadsworth

And that quote is correct, no matter what you add to try and make it false it is still true. Try analysing it and then think about what radials they added last, a hint it wasn't 32A radials it was radials designed about 2.5 mm cable with a breaker that made it safe. Therefore what I stated is true.

Maybe you are deliberately trying to distort what I said?

Reply to
dennis