Can a ring main spur start at the consumer unit.

Do the wiring regulations permit a 13amp ring main spur to start at the consumer unit. i.e. The two ring main cables, and the spur cable would connect together at the consumer unit.
--

Michael Chare

Why not put the spur on its own mcb for better protection, organisation and neatness, if you have a spare mcb slot of course.

Yes, - but I knew that I could do that! - I may have to if I can't get three wires into the fuse box terminal.
--

Michael Chare

They tend to be the same size as those in sockets, so will take 3 x 2.5mm cables ok.
--
*A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

IME, they tend to be a good deal larger than that on modern CUs... the screw connection on the top of the MCBs tesds to be common across the range regardless of the actuall MCB rating. Hence are usually good for a 16mm^2 cable, and the neutral bus bar will usually have at least some locations that will take that size.
(much depends on the type/age of CU we are talking about here)
--
Cheers,

John.

If the spare slot is there use it, and do it professionally.
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Do stop talking crap.
A spur is a perfectly legal and acceptable way of extending a ring final circuit. There is no reason said extension can not be taken from the consumer unit if that is the most logical place to take it from.
The choice of how to feed the circuit should be decided by the intended use of the extension, and where it logically "fits" in the whole design. For example it may make far more sense if adding one extra socket to a "downstairs" power circuit to keep if fed from the same MCB as all the other sockets. Otherwise you create an additional safety risk when a future maintainer comes along and turns off the downstairs socket circuit without realising that one of them is fed from its own MCB that some plank forgot to label. If however you are adding a supply for a set of interlinked smoke detectors then that would be far better taken from a dedicated MCB.
--
Cheers,

John.

He is taking a cable into a CU with a spare mcb slot. All he has to do is buy an mcb and keep that circuit separate. Neat and easy and not ramming too many cables into one terminal. The professional way of doing it.
Doctor Drivel wrote:

It may be that is should not be separate in the first place. I gave you an example of when this would be poor design. It is easy to think of plenty of other cases where not having a separate circuit makes more sense.
It all depends on what the circuit extension is for. Since you don't know, it is better to stop guessing.

You have never wired a modern CU have you? Get real.
--
Cheers,

John.

Pat-n-Dave, I have wired everything.

It is not a good idea to have a stray socket on the wrong circuit, as it can lead to electrocution when the wrong circuit is disabled. Subdivision of circuits should be thought about and executed on a logical system. You don't just put a single socket on its own MCB just because you can.

Have you ever installed a modern consumer unit? You could probably "ram" 10 2.5mm cables into one MCB. They are designed to swallow enourmous bundles of cable. 3x2.5mm won't trouble it one bit.
Christian.

Yep.
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Stupid boy!
Why not answer the question?
Dave

I agree he is stupid.

And encourage people to do cowboy work? You would do that wouldn't you? You are lower than whale shit.
Doctor Drivel wrote:

You were the one offering advice without being fully aware of the OP's circumstances and requirements.
Butch Drivel and the Hacksaw Kid?
--
Cheers,

John.

Dribble in a previous guise had to ask here on how to wire an intermediate switch - not that he actually knew it was called that. So any of his 'advice' on electrical matters should be taken with that in mind.
--
*When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

flatulence wrote in message wrote:

Mr Cranium, you should stop telling porkies for lent.
Doctor Drivel wrote:

When in glass houses, stop throwing stones:
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_frm/thread/e80b037c26dc5ffa/181e27ff26bfff39?q=group:uk.d-i-y+adam+intermediate+switch&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fq%3Dgroup:uk.d-i-y+adam+intermediate+switch%26start%3D0%26scoring%3Dd%26&_doneTitle ck+to+Search&&d#181e27ff26bfff39
--
Cheers,

John.

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_frm/thread/e80b037c26dc5ffa/181e27ff26bfff39?q=group:uk.d-i-y+adam+intermediate+switch&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fq%3Dgroup:uk.d-i-y+adam+intermediate+switch%26start%3D0%26scoring%3Dd%26&_doneTitle ck+to+Search&&d#181e27ff26bfff39
John isn't going to like this. But should realise denial is a symptom of his illness.
--
*I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect*

flatulence wrote in message wrote:

** snip senile tripe **
New Years Eve, so the home have allowed them on the pop.