Hotpoint Dryer Recall Update

Ah. "I haven't monitored it so I really can't say Tim. If I did monitor the humidity before and after the TD is used and I did see an increase in humidity (that I didn't notice myself) I wouldn't admit it here anyway". ;-)

As there might not be if the room is warm and there aren't any cold surfaces to condensate on.

But the fact is it seems that for some reason or another, both Mark, a mate and I (at least / so far) are aware of the increased humidity around 'some' condenser dryers?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I never ever do any of that.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Reply to
hgww

You may do that but I saw no evidence of increased humidity unless you opened the door.

So which condensing driers don't work?

Reply to
dennis

But didn't actually measure the humidity, before and after to be able to qualify your (lack of) 'evidence'? 'You can manage what you can measure ...' ;-)

Whatever Mark has and whatever my mate has, to name two by the sound of it?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ours. A Beko machine. Definitely makes any room it's in "fuggy" and moist. Sure it traps a fair bit of water but I suspect that air/air heat exchangers just don't cut it. A proper heat-pump one would be fine I'm sure.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

So what does it use to cool the condenser?

Reply to
dennis

No, but I remember the days of my parents having non-condenser dryers and having to poke the trunk out of various doors/windows etc and getting steamed up windows ... I've only had condenser dryers since

198mumble and never had condensation when using them ...
Reply to
Andy Burns

Ambient air.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message , T i m writes

Point taken :-) All about lifestyle choice and the pros and cons. I envy those of you who pop along to B&Q or wherever - our nearest larger shops are 45 miles away. Then there is the weather. Probably a lovely spring day today, down south. Snowing here, on top of the six inches or so lying from Friday. Temp this morning was -7.5 outside and we awoke to thick ice on the inside of our draughty Victorian single glazed bedroom window, and we'll burn more fuel today than most of you will use in a week. For us, though, the pros outweigh the cons.

Reply to
News

Not surprising then? Same as those who leave a window open with their aircon exhaust hanging out? ;-(

I wasn't suggesting *everyone* would (too many other variables re 'condensation') and you have already admitted you hadn't measured the humidity either? So, can you judge if the humidity had gone up say 10 points whilst you were using the TD ... because without a hygrometer because I couldn't? All I do know is I (and so do others it seems) have personally noticed an increase in humidity when in the presence of condenser dryers.

I would suggest though a properly plumbed-in vented dryer (like mine) is very much less likely to leak humidity compared with any 'condensing' one ('by design', especially one that is leaking or faulty).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You make a hole through teh wall and permanently connect the flexible to it. Simples.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Same sense of fugginess with my Beko. But never noticed condensation, even in a cold (

Reply to
RJH

;-)

Yup.

We stayed in Scotland with our daughters Ex's family over one Xmyth. Beautiful views from the bedroom widow of fields but a 50 mile round trip to get a replacement headlamp bulb, one bus a day and a 5 mile walk to get some milk. Heavy snow and you are seriously stranded.

We don't have *everything* on the doorstep but everything we would

*need* is only a walk away. We do our weekly shop on foot and with a shopping trolley for example and have access to d-i-y sheds even closer.

Yup.

Ah.

We had those when I bought the place 30 years ago. uPVC DG now of course.

I bet. When daughter was in Scotland she and her b/f were doing Tree Surgery and firewood so their (his family) hose was always well stocked with fuel. Again, all very nice and romantic but a right pita to keep tended if you just wanted some warmth and hot water. I'd rather sell the wood and buy some gas (not that we can have a wood burner here unless it's one of the fancy approved ones).

If you can get though the winter and have 'retired' or are happy with a simple life then I can imagine living out in the sticks could be nice, especially in the summer.

However, when daughter was living in Scotland I would send her links on Youtube and she would often have to pause them and leave them paused for an hour to buffer, just to be able to watch them as their broadband was marginal at best.

Her bf moved down here (Norf Lundin) and *loves* the fact that everything is so close, that he can get much better paid and interesting work than he could in Scotland and feels he is now 'living' (every day filled with opportunity and doing stuff).

That said, my personal dream would be something like I have seen when meeting others here ... a nice cottage to live in (or for the Mrs to live in and keep free of my 'stuff'), a large yard, barn and a mobile home turned into my workshop (so easier to keep warm than the barn).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I worked in a 1st floor small office / server room and with a South facing wall it got pretty warm in the summer.

So, I got them to buy me an aircon unit and I made up a plate to take the exhaust hose and outside flap vent that would fit across the width the sash window frame and just screwed the window down onto it. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
[Snip]

Yes, but there is the little factor of housing costs. The manager of our community theatre moved back to Ayrshire and was able to a get a 3 bedroom house for the same money as she was paying for a one bedroom flat in Guildford..

Reply to
charles

Oh yes, it's all relative.

Quite, laddo is probably paying twice as much to rent a flat (with garage) as a whole 3 bed house in Dumfries. However, he has jot a job that pays loads more than he could earn in Scotland and only has a 10 mile commute.

If you were say a Web designer *and* could get decent Internet access in the back of beyond then you would be fine.

But it's not just the daily commute ... it's everything including from the regular shopping to going to the cinema or anywhere else in the country / world (often including hospital). Worse, you often don't get the complete range of food delivered, or even one choice! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

A 10 mile commute? Through *Lundin* ??

Reply to
Tim Streater

Noooo, 'around', M25 / A1 etc. ;-)

Even so it's still sounds like it could be a pain but has says it generally isn't ... and no worse than being stuck behind a tractor / learner / milk float or a shoal of sheep down the narrow and windy roads in Dumfriesshire. ;-)

Funnily my first job (BT) required me to commute about 2 miles and I did so mostly on my Lambretta. Kodak was on the train into The City then back locally with a 1 mile commute (company car), and then they moved to the top of my road. ;-)

Back to IT training in 'The City' by train.

A mate used to come into the City by train every day from Clacton (2 hrs each way?), then moved closer in Chelmsford then out near Barking somewhere. But he was getting £50/hour *then* and so the extra hours he could spend at work and with cheaper travel easily covered his increased living costs and so he had a better quality of life. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not much chance of it working then. Mine uses the cold water from the mains.

Reply to
dennis

There isn't a vent on my drier.

Reply to