Honestly!

Just a marketing ploy to gain an advantage over the competition for a short while and sell a few more machines until they catch up.

And why not?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yes, it was on the Bosch oven we bought two or three years ago.

Reply to
Bob Eager

So you're not complaining about the fact that 'Sabbath mode' machines exist, only that some people adopt a regime for their lives that allows mfrs of such machines to make products specifically for them.

But people believe all sorts of things, that to other people might seem silly. It gives a structure to their lives that they need, while others can survive without such a structure, or adopt a different one. But it's what people do; it's just human nature. Get over it.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Many people support football teams, for no logical reason, AFAICS. Indeed, my son travelled a long way today to watch a desultory match between Arsenal and Brighton in the freezing cold. Is that more or less silly than what you describe above?

Reply to
GB

That is the best attitude to take, though it does seem strange to have a set of rules that should be obeyed but are not compatible with the technology of the 21st century and then use that technology for a work around,it seems like cheating. Same with areas called eruvs within which certain rules are relaxed . A number of them have been created in the UK in recent times sometimes controversially even within the faith itself. Planning permission had to be obtained to erect boundary markers in the form of poles supporting almost invisible fishing line to keep the boundary intact where a building or other feature could not be used.

One is here set back from the lamppost in one of the North London ones.

One concern is that granting the proponents of that religion permission to establish such an area even though they do not intend for it to apply to those who don?t follow that particular belief and is not generally in conflict morally with the values of others in the UK could set a precedent for those of other religions who may want to set up an area where their rules may be looked upon as having some backing, and we already know that in the case of many Muslims they don?t want to just mingle and coexist but would want their rules to have precedence over all believers or not.

GH

Reply to
Marland

<chuckle> I live just outside one of the several St Ives's in the UK. No eruv's here.

But OOI is there any limit to the size of an eruv? If not, why not put one around the whole of Sidney. I imagine there are enough wires criss-crossing the city to claim they're continuous. Or even around the whole of Oz (thinking of subsea cables for example), or in that case, even the whole world! It would make being an orthodox Jew so much simpler! But perhaps 'simpler' is not the point!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

My favourite Sabbath Mode is pork with crackling for lunch.

Reply to
PeterC

The implied one that prompted you to start this thread.

But they were specifically made "for them" in the beginning, and the extra cost now of putting Sabbath mode ability into every device must be trivial, just a little more programming in the software.

Or you'll spend your life moaning about trivia that really make no impact on your life. But suit yourself...

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Nope.

If not, why not put

Its Sydney and the non jew system doesn't allow that.

I imagine there are enough wires

Eruvs don't work like that.

Or even around

Eruvs don't work like that.

or in that

Eruvs don't work like that.

Of course it isn't.

Reply to
Tim J

well they are Gods chosen race .....

Reply to
Binkie Huckaback ...

Habit can be a powerful thing, I think, its why marketing folk want to get you into the habit of using their services watching this or that team consuming this or that substance etc etc. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm halal intolerant ....

Reply to
Binkie Huckaback ...

Thass OK, any time.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Shurely if you are a member of a faith, then you probably believe a supreme being made the entirety of the cosmos. Worrying that you are going to get on the wrong side of such a being because you did "creative work" like turning on an oven, switching a TV on or working a lift is somewhat silly?

Reply to
Jim K..

A. What complaint? B. These aren't specifically made "for them". (We all get to pay for such "features" if we buy an appliance with such settings...)

Or?

Reply to
Jim K..

In your opinion.

How far back you going?

and the

Yep I'll suit myself, but thanks sooo much for "chipping in" :-)

Reply to
Jim K..

I'm certain Chris will be along to "set you straight" imminently ;-)

Reply to
Jim K..