Bosch Dishwasher Woes

Had the same on bosch smv40t10gb. It was the float switch that had been blocked by a lemon pip that was caught in all the gunk that builds up. I took the whole plastic float tank off and washed it out with hot water and washing up liquid and it finally came out along with all the gunk and now everything seems to be working again. Not a quick job though and going to order a new flat tank as it looks like it will gunk up again over time. Hope you fixed yours ok

Reply to
jfairhead

Reading about dish washers here I am glad I never bothered. It seems to me that in effect have to pre wash anything you put in anyway, or things like this story will gum up the works pretty soon. might as well go on with my sponge scourers and washing up liquid. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On 17:09 26 Dec 2018, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

How did this happen? My Bosch dishwasher has a very fine mesh filter which would trap any lemon pip.

Reply to
Pamela

But is that filter in a position to stop a pip getting into the water-level detector? We had a similar problem with a washing machine. The pipe to the level indicator came straight off the back of the tub IIRC, and just got blocked up with gunk. A thorough clean-out sorted it.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yes it is. But it's certainly possible to not put it back properly after you take it out to get the rubbish out of it.

We had a similar problem with a washing machine.

Reply to
Tim J

That is why is regularly run a cleaning cycle on our dishwasher.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You can always tell plates, glasses and cutlery that get dishwashered, they're not smooth, sparkling and shiny.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Perhaps you are using the wrong tablets? We use the Lidl all in one type and, with very rare exceptions, every thing that comes out of our slimline Bosch is 'smooth, sparkling and shiny'.

Reply to
Terry Casey

or not using salt so the ion exchanger gets poisoned

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Same here, until tn]he timer stopped working :-(

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I don't have a washdisher, but I can generally tell when someone else does, it may be they're not cleaning it properly or using proper doses of liquids/powders/tablets, but that seems to be a habit that the owners fall into ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

And how many thousand households do you visit anally to arrive at this concussion?

Reply to
Richard

A lot of people believe that tablets are a complete replacement for salt (when needed).

Reply to
Bob Eager

The salt in tablets never gets to the ion exhanger. If salt is omitted the exchangeer fails permanently. Cloudiness & limescale follow.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No - we still keep the salt container well filled!

Reply to
Terry Casey

How do you know that he always enters via the rear entrance after clubbing them into submission? :)

Reply to
Terry Casey

Mine are. In fact they sort of gleam compared with how they were before being dishwashered.

Reply to
Tim J

I simply noted that the poster was very anal about how dishes have been washed. Having witnessed OCD behaviour, I did take the liberty of assuming that he banged his head against the wall at each instance of dishwasher violation. BICBW.

Reply to
Richard

That?s obvious. If you did you wouldn?t have said that.

Bet you'd find with a proper double blind trial that you can't.

I never clean my bosch apart from the strainer thing, its immaculate in mine.

or using proper doses

Hard to get the dose wrong with tablets.

but that seems to be a habit that the owners

Never seen that.

Reply to
Tim J

I feel the other way round - I can't understand why people *don't* bother. And having just fed and cleaned up after 4 adults and 3 children this xmas, I'm more convinced than ever.

Mind, the dishwasher did start making a pulsing/banging pipe sound the last few washes, but seems to have fixed itself at the last wash. Very occasional dishwasher cleaner aside, it's had no maintenance in the 6 years I've owned it - it's 12 years old, bought S/H.

Not IME. I've got some of those polycarbonate pint glasses, use them regularly. I estimate they've had well over 500 dishwashes - still look like new. The only time things go a bit weird is if something slips in the wash, and stops the spray arm rotating

Alas it has nearly washed off the photo from my Karl Marx mug, but hey. No other damage that I've noticed.

Reply to
RJH