Homeplug limitations

Hello,

In my home I use a pair of TP LINK "Homeplugs" to convey ethernet to a bedroom.

I have 3 ring circuits: A; B and C

The Homeplugs can happily connect between A and B and also between B and C

But I *CANNOT* get them to connect between A to C (which is what I ideally want to achieve).

I have upgraded the firmware. I am mystified.

I should add the aggregate distance between A and C is the longest. Maybe 25 metres of T&E, via a fuseboard if that is material. The units I have are a few years old. Would new ones have better capability?

Any suggestions?

David

Reply to
Vortex11

There's no guarantee ethernet over mains will work in any particular situation - mains cabling and applainces weren't designed for it. If it does, then great. If it doesn't, you may have to look for a different solution such as Cat5e or Wifi.

You could try unplugging all appliances and see if that makes it work. If it does, plug things back in until you find whatever appliance is killing the signal.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They have difficulty crossing between things like RCDs which tend to attenuate the signal. If you must use such a horrible product you may need to bridge between the ring circuits using another pair of homeplug devices or a wifi bridge.

Reply to
dennis

How about four homeplugs, one on A and C and two on B. Network A with B1, and then a separate net between B2 and C, now connect B1 with B2 using a short ethernet patch lead?

Failing that, buy a new set and see if you get different results from A to C directly. Not all are created equal - depending on chipsset:

Better still, run some CAT5 between A and C ;-)

John Rumm

Chuck them out and let everyone within half a mile have their am radios back.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Vortex11 formulated on Monday :

Some appliances have line filters on their inputs, which can greatly attenuate the signal. Try unplugging items until you find the culprit.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Although very unlikely in a domestic situation they also need to be on the same phase. Something that it took me a couple of days to work out, adjacent rooms didn't work but 50 metres away did!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Best idea of the lot that:)...

Reply to
tony sayer

I would be surprised if homeplugs support spanning tree.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The interim solution is to use Homeplug from B to C which works fine for the purposes of a TV. (I have a Cat 5e network point at B and the solution works fine.....it's the flashing LED's which are unpopular)

Recent Infinity upgrade has triggered all this, because beforehand the internet features of the TV were borderline useless. Novelty will soon wear off and I can disconnect it all again.

Reply to
Vortex11

In message , Vortex11 writes

It's true that most of the Internet features of our smart TV are pointless. But we do use iPlayer all the time (and the other catchup services , but not as much). Also Netflix at the moment as well.

Reply to
Chris French

Most el-cheapo L2 switches don't either, but you can cascade them just fine (just don't form loops or parallel paths).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Depends on how el-cheapo you are looking... even the £100 ish TP link I have in the under-stairs cupboard supports STP, RSTP and MSTP - so its certainly working its way down the food chain.

Reply to
John Rumm

I would have thought it ought not matter so long as you have precluded A talking to C directly by putting them on different logical networks.

Reply to
John Rumm

I mean the £15 D-links and others at the "fit for a bonfire" end of the range.

Reply to
Andy Burns