Networking using homeplugs

Sorry to raise the networking question yet again :-)

Progress is good, except that there are parts of the house that the wireless network cannot reach - thick, solid granite walls don't help.

Plan B is to use a couple of homeplug ethernet devices and, if I have understood correctly, run a cable from the router to a homeplug, and another cable from a PC to another homeplug, plugged in elsewhere, but within the house. As simple as that? The homeplugs are nothing more than a long patch lead, using the house mains wiring?

Question really, is which homeplugs to buy? Are they much the same? Prices seem to vary from 40 pounds a pair, upwards. Any particular recommendations? Thanks!

Reply to
Graeme

It is pretty well as simple as that. I set up a network using Devolo kit which worked fine. One was a plug with a patch lead to the router, the other was a plug with a built in WAP It may get more complex if you have a 3 phase supply but on ordinary mains it's OK. There have been cases of such networks causing RF interference so be aware of that.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

network cannot reach - thick, solid granite walls

understood correctly, run a cable from the router to a

elsewhere, but within the house. As simple as that? The

seem to vary from 40 pounds a pair, upwards. Any

worked fine. One was a plug with a patch lead to

it's OK. There have been cases of such networks causing

They also like to be on the same ring main, so in an typical house they may not work on different floors

Reply to
Graham.

I'm currently using a Maplin Powerline router I got last year in a sale. One end is the combined WiFi + mains router and the other is one 13Amp homeplug. So I have a choice of WiFi or the mains and the latter works OK right down to the garden shed on a long extension lead from the kitchen through an earth leakage trip socket.

The main difficulty was setting up the networking configuration in the router via the ethernet connection to a PC as it's not at all user friendly and didn't come with typical UK ISP parameters preinstalled. So me not being a networking freak, it needed a search on the internet to find how other people had set it up (very little in the skimpy instructions and there are four or five pages of settings) and a bit of trial and error to get it all up and working.

rusty

Reply to
therustyone

Yup that is about it. Some allow encryption as well, of which the easiest are push button setup. Plug em all in, push the tit on the first and the the tit on the others within 2 mins, and they all secure themselvs into a private net.

I use the Solwise ones - reasonable price and seem to work nicely.

Reply to
John Rumm

network cannot reach - thick, solid granite walls

understood correctly, run a cable from the router to a

elsewhere, but within the house. As simple as that? The

seem to vary from 40 pounds a pair, upwards. Any

which worked fine. One was a plug with a patch lead to

it's OK. There have been cases of such networks causing

They will work across circuits - throughput may be reduced, but they usually work.

My workshop one goes through its ring circuit to a MCB, then the RCD, then a submain back to the house, through a fuse, another RCD, to a henley block, then another RCD, followed by another RCD, then a MCB, and finally a short radial to the next homeplug. I had to use the high output versions to get reliable comms, but it works fast enough for net access etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Woops editing malfunction both sides of the supply... or his mains neutral... ...were floating above earth. Take your pick.

Reply to
Graham.

network cannot reach - thick, solid granite walls

understood correctly, run a cable from the router to a

elsewhere, but within the house. As simple as that? The

seem to vary from 40 pounds a pair, upwards. Any

which worked fine. One was a plug with a patch lead to

it's OK. There have been cases of such networks causing

They like to be plugged direct in to the ring away from where other computer stuff is plugged in. I have a split load consumer unit with RCDs on each side. Using circuits that don't involve crossing the RCDs works better. I used downstairs power ring and upstairs lighting ring because they were both on the same side of the CU.

Reply to
Invisible Man

I'm currently using a Maplin Powerline router I got last year in a sale. One end is the combined WiFi + mains router and the other is one 13Amp homeplug. So I have a choice of WiFi or the mains and the latter works OK right down to the garden shed on a long extension lead from the kitchen through an earth leakage trip socket.

The main difficulty was setting up the networking configuration in the router via the ethernet connection to a PC as it's not at all user friendly and didn't come with typical UK ISP parameters preinstalled. So me not being a networking freak, it needed a search on the internet to find how other people had set it up (very little in the skimpy instructions and there are four or five pages of settings) and a bit of trial and error to get it all up and working. rusty

Yes, those pages of settings can be a nightmare, and it seems almost any one got wrong can stop one connecting. A while back I was having problems maintaining wireless connections between downstairs router and upstairs equipment. Eventually I found on the internet that I could change the firmware on a spare router and use it as a giant 'dongle' connected to an upstairs pc by ethernet cable. There was still a problem selecting an operating frequency that wasn't already crowded round here, but once I had both the router and the 'bridge' on one that worked, it has all worked flawlessly since. So flawlessly in fact that if it does go wrong I'd have to learn the whole process all over again!

Spamlet

Are they much the same?

upwards. Any particular

I set up a Devolo connection today. A tip I picked up on the net was to plug both units into a four socket extension lead (not enough room on less than four). Connect one to a PC and the other to the router or modem. Then run the install CD and use the setup routine to get the two plugs to recognise each other before installing where you want them. HTH

Reply to
Geoff Beale

In message , Geoff Beale writes

Thank you. Yes, I can see the sense in that.

Thanks, everyone, for the comments and recommendations. Much food for thought.

Reply to
Graeme

check ebay for new "orange" branded Devolo ones - I bought a few sets a short while ago - abt =A325-30 posted....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I found no need for that at all. They just work out of the box (more or less).

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I have 4 D-link Powerline adapters. One is in my Garage, which has it's own fusebox with RCD etc. It's slower than the 3 in the house, but can stream video (but not HD).

Caution: I tried mixing different manufactures (Devolo & D-Link) and got nowhere. This was a few years back, and there were reports of compatibility problems. This may (should) have changed, but if you plan on using more than 2, factor in the manufacturer.

give some compatibility clues.

Reply to
Devany