Homebase sale

Homebase are selling off all their own brand (Guild) power tools. None of it good quality, but it seems very cheap.

I bought an 800w reciprocating saw for £24, and they had a 1kw SDS+ drill for £29 and a corded 700w drill for £15.

Reply to
GB

As a slight aside to that, is it the 'Bunnings Effect' (TM) that H/B's prices now seem to have more in whole pounds instead of £x.99 and also there seem to be some unusual prices like £x.74 and £y.48?

Reply to
The Other John

Not looked enough to notice that.

Other shops use that as a sign it's an end-of-line item.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I get that this won't be Makita, but are we talking consumer B&D, Aldidl or Poundland quality here? In other words, is it any good for occasional use?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I'd ask if they have the 3 year money back warranty you get with Aldidl? My theory is their stuff is rather better built because of this. Because I've never needed to use it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The bloke behind the counter said they are made by Worx. The drill seems okay quality. Plastic gears, obviously, but good for occasional use. The reciprocating saw looks okay, too.

Reply to
GB

2 year guarantee on the Guild stuff.
Reply to
GB

In message , GB writes

I'm afraid they are not having a sale at my local Homebase. The reciprocating saw was still ?46, and the assistant just said "under our new owners all our prices are as low as they can possibly be".

Reply to
Bill

Priced at £24. Shame they didn't check online, but you can order it c+c.

Reply to
GB

I'm now the proud owner of a reciprocating saw, thanks. The very jolly man who accompanied me to the power tools area told me it's a bit chaotic since the takeover "but we're getting there".

I also invested ?9.93 in a basic battery drill.

Reply to
Bill