Home made desk

I've given up trying to find a pair of desks that match my study and am making my own using kitchen worktop.

I need to drill some holes to run cables through, but want it to look vaguely professional. I've been searching on the Internet for UK suppliers of cable hole covers/grommets without success. I found several in the states, but they've not responded to my requests for shipping to the UK.

I wondered whether anyone on the group has had any luck sourcing any in the UK before? I also wondered if they have some cryptic name in the UK that I need for the search.

Thanks in advance for all help!

Cheers, Chris

Reply to
Can2002

Yep.

Have a look at Trend's web site. They make a template to use with a router with a 12.7mm bit and a guide bush to cut either round or rectangular holes.

They then have a range of plastic inserts for the holes made.

I've recently used this myself to make a fitted desk using a beech hardwood worktop. A very successful result.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You could also try

> cabinet fittings > desk fittings I would have posted the link but for some reason was unable to copy it.

HTH

Sunbeam

Reply to
Sunbeam

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:48:39 +0100, "Can2002" strung together this:

I got a load from Ikea a while back, ISTR they were only a pound each. The part number is 648.953.80 and they're in the signum range but I can't find them on the website, looks like a call to the sales dept. is required.

Reply to
Lurch

In article , Can2002 writes

Woodfit call them cable covers and cable outlets. See

Lord calls them cable outlets and desk tidies. See
and search.

Don't forget to get them big enough to feed a standard plug through!

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Perhaps a low voltage flush downlighter could be butchered to yield a nice looking trim? They're cheap enough.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Chris, Here is an alternative - I once made a desktop from kitchen worktop, but being only 60cm deep it was a bit too narrow, I decided to make a kind of narrow cable tray along the back of the desk and then cut two strips of wood to fit (painted matt black) and line the edges of them with black foam rubber. Then it is easy to feed any wires down the back of the desk then push the strips of wood into place between desk and wall. This also has the advantage of sealing any gap between the desk and wall so that paper etc cannot get lost down the back of the desk.

Dave

Reply to
logized

Personally I always think they look bad. I'd much prefer to have a good quality good looking desk and run the wires over the back of it.

I'm sure you could find something better than kitchen worktop too, and for less, but all a question of taste. For myself I'd probably go for pine board.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Thanks to all for the great feedback; over to me for a decision!!

Chris

Reply to
Can2002

Door blanks can be the basis for a good desk, if a little thick. Might even be possible to have a keyboard shelf within the desktop itself.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Crikey. You must have one widescreen monitor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've used the cheap Ikea ones and also quite pricey ones from Canford Audio. They all work well enough, so it's down to what looks right for you.

I also made a desk which sounds similar to what you're proposing. It can be useful to think in advance about cable management. If the underside of the desk is fairly hidden, a shallow tray or length of wide gutter running the length of the worktop, but 15 CM below it can conceal a huge mass of leads, but still allow reasonable access to them.

It's also worth considering a shelf or two about 20 CM deep to hold things like power supplies, broadband modems and external hard drives, which need to be nearby, but rarely accessed.

Reply to
Roly

Thanks Roly,

The desk is already up now, I'm going to order a few 2-part cable covers from one of the sites mentioned in an earlier post.

Thanks for the ideas on cable management; I have a 12-way power strip which I've actually mounted on the back wall ~15cm beneath the desk, but should still have some space to run a cable tray. I've been really pleased with the end result!

Cheers, Chris

Reply to
can2002