Hmmm! B&D Planer

was given an old one today without blades, working,as I've got JCB Planer I thought about converting it to a sander? What I've done is glued a piece of 1mm thin rubber matting around the barrel which the blades attach to now I need the stuff that is used on sanders that cling to the sandpaper type pads?

anyone know where to get this?

If I aquire this stuff then the pad type sandpaper will wrap around the drum giving me a adaptable sander for rough wood.

Thanks

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 23:08:28 +0100, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote (in article ):

I'm not sure that it would work that well since the planer drum appears to spin a lot faster than a sander would do - certainly a belt sander, which is the closest analogue to this.

I suspect that the paper would get unacceptably hot way too quickly.

If you want to try it, then you need sticky Velcro and fit the male part to the drum. THis should grip paper with female Velcro backing.

As someone once remarked to me when not being sure which part of Velcro was which - " Did I mean the hard one or the soft, fluffy one?"

You can get Velcro from haberdashers and B&Q sell various kinds as well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 23:17:41 +0100, Andy Hall had this to say:

Or even Maplins.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Thanks MrHall.

I was thinking this would/should work as because of the shoe on the planer the depth can be adjusted so that the sandpaper can be just touching the wood so as not to shred it to pieces but trial and error will be the only way to find out? ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 23:24:27 +0100, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote (in article ):

There's certainly no harm in trying, considering the investment. Do you have a speed controller for drills or anyhting like that? You could reduce the motor speed which might help.

Reply to
Andy Hall