V-Drum Sander - Any experiences/advice?

At the woodworking show in Indy this weekend, I saw a Sand-Flee drum sander, and a similar kit from a Canadian company called Stockroom supply

was impressed by the simplicity of these machines and the fact they don't kick up a lot of dust. For the dust they do generate, you can easily attach a shop-vac to gather it.

As I watched the demonstrations, I was thinking maybe this could be used in place of a jointer to get one face and one edge flat to reference on the planer and table saw rip fence. Seems like with a good flat table (such as 3/4 MDF with a laminate) and a fence, it should do the same job as a jointer. Also seems like it'd be safer since spinning sandpaper would give you a little scuff but not lop off fingers.

I talked to Kelly Mehler about it after one of his demos. He said I still needed a jointer, although he admitted he didn't have any experience with the Sand-Flee/V-drum sanders. I respect Kelly and enjoy his tablesaw book and DVD, but really wanted to know more about why I need a jointer over a setup like this.

Other than speed, are there other things a jointer would give me that would make it a better choice? I'm mainly thinking in terms of dimensioning rough lumber.

Reply to
Dave Miller

I built one of these before anyone even offered the whole machine. About 6 or 7 years ago a fellow out of Canada was selling just the roller and you had to put one together yourself. I built a "floor model" out of MDF, some pillow blocks, a vbelt and a 1/4 hp motor. It worked fine and, you are right, it does a good job containing its dust even without a dust collector (although I hooked one up to it).

Probably the question more appropriate would be "do I need a drum sander if I have one of these?" It really would be a poor man's drum sander. It would take a long time to do what a drum sander does with a sand flee, but it is a good way to touch up small parts and could work as a drum sander. When I built my arts and crafts bed:

used the sand flee to do the balustrades you see on the headboard and footboard. It worked very well.

I don't use it very much any more. Probably should give it a try again, but I have a drum sander now and it just seems easier to use that.

I guess I would like to hear what some other people do with their's. Does anyone else have one that also has a drum sander? What do you find yourself using it for?

Reply to
eganders

Gee.

I just looked at your URL to the Stockroom Supply site. I guess I just repeated what they said! I think this is the guy that I bought mine from. Again, I can't see using it for a jointer. You have to be careful and push it through the sander in an even, smooth stroke otherwise you could end up with a ripple surface.

Reply to
eganders

Reply to
Dave Miller

BTW, how much did you pay for everything including motor etc?

Reply to
WD

I paid $135 for the kit, which didn't include a motor. It had the drum, bearings, link belt, pulleys, two rolls of sandpaper, and some plans to make a cabinet for it. I've looked a little on Ebay for a motor, they don't seem too expensive. They say to use 1/4 HP up to 1/2 HP, 1725 RPM motor. They said at the show TEFC is not necessary, but a sander's job is to make dust, and dust always seems to go where you don't want it, so I'll probably hold out for TEFC.

Another booth sold > >

Reply to
Dave Miller

Thanks for the information. I have spent hours looking at the possibility making a drum sander, Including Stockroom Supply V-Drum Sander. I juggled with various possibility and found it would cost above $400.

Just before Christmas I bought a brand new drum sander at Ebay. it's look like a Performax 16/32, I believe it is a discontinued 1 hp Ryobi 16/32. You might want to take a look at the seller website. His name is Tom, a honest and friendly Ebay seller for woodworking machine.

I have no relation with the seller, I'm just a satisfier buyer.

Reply to
WD

Oops, I forgot to add that, I will be writing a review of this Drum Sander shortly.

Reply to
WD

I made a floor version of the V-drum sander a while back from parts that I got second hand and parts that I bought from Stockroom supply and a used 1/2 hp motor that I had laying around.

I've thanked that little machine every time I've used it and I use it on just about every project now.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes