Hinge bolts

Any tips on fitting hinge bolts? Last time I did it I seem to remember having a problem getting the bolt to line up with the mortise - as the door closes the angle at which the bolt enters the mortise changes.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

In article , Martin Pentreath writes

I fit the door side 'bolt' first then gently try to close the door. The bolt will leave a depression on the frame which can be used as a basis for drilling frame.

I then use a bit of geometry to guess where the real edge of the hole should be in relation to the mark which will be 3-5mm closer to the frame edge. A round woodworking bit will make a cleaner hole and be easier to judge the position. I'd rather the fit were a bit tight to start with for security as it's easy to gently enlarge the hole with a small chisel to get a fit.

Lastly make a rebate for and fit the frame side reinforcing plate. I use much heavier screws than supplied to mount the reinforcing plate.

Also, it wouldn't do any harm to remove the inside architrave and place some long screw into the edge of the frame as it may resist splitting under attack. Better still, screw a 12" strip of builders' band in place there.

Reply to
fred

Buy good ones. The Chubb ones I bought when I last installed hinge bolts, admittedly quite a few years back now, came with an alignment guide, which fitted in the hole in the door and marked where you needed to drill the frame.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

When fitting mine last year I marked the position of the bolts on the door and put in a small screw, closed the door gently to leave a mark on the frame for the drilling position

Reply to
Bazza