Removing security hinge bolts

Hi all,

I have an old door which has those security bolts in it on the hinge side to stop the door being kicked in. I need to hang the door from the other side now and therefore remove and ideally refit the bolts. Anyone any idea how to get them out of the door? Looking online it looks like they push in but they are tapered and almost impossible to pull out. Mine could be different of course but tried getting grips on them and tried to turn them but still no joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

Weld a nut on!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Unfortunately I don't have a welder not TBH the skill to do it. I have tried gripping it the jaws of a battery drill but it doesn't budge and the chuck loses grip. Also tried gripping it with grips and then hammering the grips to try and pull it out. Again not budging

Reply to
Lee Nowell

Angle grinder! ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You were only 9 minutes ahead of me. :)

Reply to
GB

I did wonder how long it would take for the angle grinder option to raise its head :)

Reply to
Lee Nowell

I have hinge bolts on one of my doors. They just screwed in.

Reply to
harry

28 minutes. :)
Reply to
GB

These ones look like you just drill a hole, then hammer them in.

Reply to
GB

Thanks both. The challenge is that I can't seem to get them to move either twist (assuming screwed in) nor pull out.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

That's the idea. They're not meant to be easy to remove.

Angle grinder really is your easiest bet.

If you refuse to do that, perhaps you can make some flats with a file so you can twist it a bit? Maybe that will loosen it?

Or drill then tap a hole, so you can put a bolt in that you can grip.

But it's hardly any work with an angle grinder.

Reply to
GB

Probably not an appropriate suggestion, but bearing in mind the difficulty you're having, some years ago I wanted to re-hang the door on my garden shed on the other side, but still opening outwards. Rather than take all the hinges off etc, I just rotated the door 180 degrees, so that the top became the bottom etc. As I said, probably not appropriate in your case, but it's a different way of doing it...

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Mole wrench put on as tight as possible. Then an extension tube.

Reply to
newshound

Hi All

The bolt is tapered so getting any grip on it was difficult. Just had a go at it and decided to cut a slot on opposite sides of the bolt to get a spanner on it. Managed to turn them and then put it in the chuck of my drill and managed to extract them. Turns out they were the push in variety. At least I could reuse them if needed ?

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Lee.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

Pushed in or screwed in (witha reverse thread)?

Photo?

Reply to
alan_m