highway code

NY formulated on Friday :

No it would not help. Once both lanes are into one lane at the official merge point, individual vehicles will do twice the speed because the speed before had been shared equally between the two lanes.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Ian Jackson explained :

I disagree, an orderly merge done with good cooperation at the actual pinch point maximises the road capacity, whilst still getting the maximum number of vehicles through. No one can easily take advantage, if both lanes are fully occupied to around the same level, the merge flows smoothly, everyone gets there proper turn, no timid drivers are disadvantaged.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Agreed.

Correct, either out of ignorance, inability or arrogance. I can (and do) generally compensate for / forgive the first two.

But you only have to see how some people park to understand all of them.

In a restricted bay (ignorance of the signs / clues).

Across two bays at an angle (inability to park straight).

All of the above + up on the grass right outside, on the double yellows, across someone's drive, stopping the wrong way round at night and leaving the super bright headlights on, 'dipped' into your face, outside your house with their loud exhaust / music on late at night etc etc.

It's often (but not restricted to etc), a particular range of vehicle brands.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Its actually called obstruction and is illegal.

They only do it to gain advantage themselves.

Reply to
dennis

On the Island of Jersey there is a pointb where two main roads join. There is a sign "Merge in Turn". It seems to work

Reply to
charles

In message <qi1qk4$ueh$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Harry Bloomfield <?.?@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk.invalid> writes

I don't like queues, do you? When the traffic merges well before it absolutely has to, there's a far better chance of it being able to maintain speed, and no queue forms. If left until it has to merge, there is more chance a bottleneck occurring, and everything grinding to a halt. And as I said, I don't like queues!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, T i m snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk> writes

While I'm really not saying "I know better", there are many situations where the HC information is essentially the 'lowest common denominator', and it doesn't necessarily tell you the best way to drive. Very occasionally, the information is questionable - or even wrong.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I go around a roundabout near here to skip the jam in the inside lane...the outside lane is always clear and I have right of way into the inside lane coming off the roundabout....fly or what ? ....and perfectly legal ?????

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

What, what the lorry did re 'protecting' the diminishing lane from the piss takers?

The people illegally driving on the central reservation, yes, agreed.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Exactly.

I bet the same people voted for Brexit and don't realise they are the cause of the queues themselves. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

On the roads, the idea of 'Right Of Way' does not exist. NO one has 'Right Of Way'.

If you're changing lanes, you don't even have PRIORITY.

Only if you're not screwing up other traffic - otherwise try 'foolish'.

Only, if by doing so, you are not driving dangerously, or without due care and attention.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

No, quite, nor was I. Just that it's very difficult not be better than many drivers out there for all sorts of reasons. ;-)

True.

I'm sure you are right.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

Are you going left or straight on at that roundabout?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

yip

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

How can it? One car every two seconds at 30mph v what at 0-10 mph?

No one should take advantage if they had any level of social responsibility.

Yes, at walking speed or start stop.

See above.

Different issue.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

straight ahead in the second but inside lane marked for doing so ...sorry a77 south........

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.4765038,-4.5868189,3a,75y,123.35h,92.45t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sX643pVTIQGHPmHXCUiixoA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DX643pVTIQGHPmHXCUiixoA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D260%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...
<snip>

So if 'perfectly legal' (and you might not be the person who will finally judge that), why doesn't everyone do it, removing your 'special' advantage? You can't be the brightest person on there at any time?

Round here there is a short dual carriageway leading up to a smallish roundabout and I have observed several accidents where people have approached the roundabout in the outside lane, gone round the inside of the roundabout 90 degrees to exit left (their second exit) and been scooped up by people intending to go straight on from the same entry point (and they are correct).

Left lane for turning left or going straight on. Right lane for going straight on or turning right. Anything else and you are an accident waiting to happen.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

So if it's legit it's not really 'fly' is it?

Are you sure all the others aren't queuing to go elsewhere?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

charles explained on 02/08/2019 :

Perhaps its the sign that makes the difference. That dual carriageway in Halifax has such a sign too.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Ian Jackson presented the following explanation :

No, but I can cope with them without becoming too upset.

The merge happens at full speed with a little cooperation and everyone behaving at the point where it has to merge.

If everyone merges early, it is too much of a temptation for someone to not go steaming down the outside lane, to bully there way in. That causes things to grind to a halt, whilst extra space is made for the intruder.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.