No-mess way to kill flies

Using a fly swatter usually leaves a fusking smudge on walls/ceiling.

Instead, spray the little buggers with 91% isopropyl alcohol. They drop instantly so you just pick up their nasty squirming little corps with a facial tissue.

Warning: For those of you miseducated by the pubic school system, don't spray alcohol near sparks or an open flame.

Reply to
Sheri

I have a considerably easier and cleaner way to do it. Works most of the time.

Since flies are phototropic it's a simple as turning off all lights and letting them go to a window...then opening it an letting them out.

If night time. I turn off all lights except for the one by the door... when the fly goes there, turn on the outside light, turn off in inside light and open the door.

Only once did I end up with a non-phototropic (or possibly low IQ) fly...so I swatted it.

Reply to
philo

Was he in line for the short bus? Was he wearing a helmet?

Reply to
Seymore4Head

Don't know but he's now out of the gene pool

Reply to
philo

I have Venus Flytrap plants, so they catch the pests and digest them! If I happen to find a couple flying around the house I'll swat them myself and either feed them to my plants or my big fish in my 58 gallon aquarium. The fish fight each other for dibs on the floating desert.

Reply to
Muggles

Then prepare to deal with the bat that flew in looking for a quick meal of fly.

Reply to
Mark Storkamp

No bat has ever gotten in here or would want to with my two cats.

Reply to
philo

Apologies if I mentioned this here before.

I installed "touch switch modules" in four brass bodied table lamps in our home many years ago.

SWIMBO and I find it much easier to just reach over and tap the lamp body to turn the lamp on to the desired one of the three available intensities rather than having to reach up under the lampshade and hunt for the rotary switch handle sticking out of the bulb socket.

Shortly thereafter I also installed fuse holders in series with the hot lead to the bulbs with a 3AG 2 Amp fast blow fuse in them so that the "tungsten arc" which sometimes occurs when an incandescent bulb burns out only blows out a 25 cent fuse, instead of the touch dimmer module.

Anyway, to get to the point raised by your saying that flies are phototropic, they certainly are in my house. Every so often I'm startled by one of the lit touch dimmer lamps changing intensity or turning off and on "by itself".

If I look inside the lampshade I always see a fly (or sometimes its a beetle) walking in a circle around the upper edge of the brass socket shell and occasionally having one of it's legs touch the top of the lamp bulb's threaded shell.

The current through the insect's body is more than enough to activate the touch switch, and they don't seem to be bothered by it because they keep walking around.

I suppose I could just slip an o-ring on the bulb to keep the insect's legs from touching the bulb base, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia