Cool Off!

A few ways to go forth & cool off:

  1. spray the roof with water repeatedly
  2. put a fan in the window during the evening, it blows in outside air that's cooler

I'll leave more for you...

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Tell the gf she has put weight on during lockdown and wait for the cold shoulder.

Reply to
ARW

You kept quiet about it so far, or you're speaking from experience?

Reply to
GB

The first one is hardly practical, and the second one does not work these last few nights as the temperature difference is simply not there. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Well it might make a fraction or two difference to the temperature in the loft.

Think I'd go for a fan upstairs in a south facing window blowing out to extract any warm air along with 5. below. But take note of air flow caused by the prevailing wind. You want air in from the cool north.

  1. Keep windows/doors (internal and external) closed during the day.
  2. Draw curtains and/or close blinds and/or shutters on the hot south facing sides of the house during the day.
  3. Once the external temperature has dropped open windows on the cooler north side.
  4. Have a house with 20 tonnes of thick stone wall running through the middle of it to absorb any excess heat that gets in.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com presented the following explanation :

  1. Go out in the drive and sleep in the caravan. The heavy fabric of buildings will release lots of heat during the night, making it warmer indoors than it need be. A caravan's fabric store very little heat, so they are much cooler to sleep in than a bricks and mortar building.
  2. Take a cool shower before bed and don't dry off, go to bed still wet, if it is really hot.
  3. Fill a hot water bottle, with iced water, or take freezer packs to bed wrzpped in a towel.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Turn the aircon on. Best money I ever spent.

Reply to
Cynic

Which unit do you have?

Reply to
Pamela

Oh, if I must...

  1. Go out in the drive and sleep in the caravan. The heavy fabric of buildings will release lots of heat during the night, making it warmer indoors than it need be. A caravan's fabric store very little heat, so they are much cooler to sleep in than a bricks and mortar building.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

For flat roofs it helps a lot. I wouldn't use it on sloping lofted roofs.

blowing in or out have mostly the same result. The upside of blowing in is the coolness is concentrated in one room.

totally depends on the house & current temps whether you want it open or closed at any time.

NT

Reply to
Nick Cat

Well this thread context is summer and it hot outside and requirement to keep inside cooler. If people are daft enough to not draw curtains etc thus letting lots of radiant heat in, then opening doors and windows to "let the heat out", the best they can achieve is making the house the same temp as outdoors.

Curtains drawn and widows/doors closed up keeps a place cooler.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Especially when the van floats away on a torrent of floodwater like some people are getting.

Not here is Sussex though, where is the frigging rain ????

Reply to
Andrew

Shut doors and windows and leave de-humidifier running then use regular electric fans. Poor mans air-con.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

ALL UP HERE...CARS FLOATING AWAY...

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

Experience.

I did not tell her that until I had finished shagged her.

Reply to
ARW

Sleep naked and ignore the fact that the whole family have access to the cctv.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

whoosh

Reply to
Nick Cat

You could have dropped a hint, like 'the bed seems to be sagging/squeaking more than usual'

Reply to
Andrew