High Security = Low Security

Nixie tube? Where have you been, Granddad?

Reply to
Huge

On Thursday 01 August 2013 12:13 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Little solari flappers would be more retro - if a tad bulky :)

(cf London Victoria station boards only a few years ago).

Reply to
Tim Watts

I certainly do that with my 4 digit CC PIN that was the one originally provided by the bank.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

So what's the patentable element then?

The provision of "security" by restricting of copying because of the patent seem to be a circular argument that doesn't justify the patent ;-(

Reply to
tim.....

Since starting this I have checked with the company who are authorised to make copies and their website tells me that they require a letter of authorisation to prove that I am entitled to ask for a copy.

It doesn't say how I find out who is the authorised person that provides the letter (nor how they keep their records up-to-date when that person changes - which in this case of this property it almost certainly has, not necessarily to someone who knows that they have this responsibility)

Reply to
tim.....

Which is fine for a small number of offices but as the number of codes goes up the chance of randomly guessing a correct code goes down.

Reply to
Andrew May

With a six digit code, you have a million possible choices. Even if there are 100 flats, it is going to take a lot of random guesses to find one code. Then you need to find which of the 100 flats that opens.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On 01/08/2013 14:14, tim..... wrote: ...

It will almost certainly be whoever is responsible for the common areas.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Listening to his Gramophone

Reply to
The Other Mike

The flats I have worked on have a remote fob and a keypad for the main gates (if applicable) and the for the communal doors. The actual door to each flat has a "normal" key.

Reply to
ARW