Sheet Material for a Flat Roof

I have to re-roof a brick-built shed with a flat roof. It was built in the seventies and the original surface is akin to floorboards. These have rotted.

If I am going to replace this with a sheet material what should I be looking for? Marine ply, flooring grade chipboard or something else. It will be covered in felt and tar.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

If you are going to felt and tar it I assume that OSB would be fine.

Alternatively you might consider metal roofing - the coated steel sheets allegedly last well.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

I should have said that it is semi-detached - the shed that is. So Whatever I do needs to fit in with the one next to it which I think is still original but has been re-felted at some time in the past.

Reply to
Andrew May

On Wednesday 31 July 2013 17:13 Andrew May wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes, if money no object. Marine ply is bloody expensive.

No! Not unless you want to find weetabix in a few years (I know from experience).

WBP ply is a more practical alternative to your marine ply.

Or OSB rated for roofing which is cheaper and still pretty good. I have had some OSB in the garden for 4 years and whilst it has bent, it has not actually fallen apart. It might also only be OSB 2 - OSB 3 is better.

Reply to
Tim Watts

20 mm OSB3 was the spec laid down by the GRP people for our flat roof. 20 mm is probably a bit overkill for shed though.

Onduline is another possibilty but with it needing to match the other half of the semi...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Agreed. While there are probably better ways of covering it keeping it in keeping is a higher priority.

Reply to
Andrew May

Box profile metal sheets. They will cut them to size for you and provide the fixings. Lots of colours and qualities.

Reply to
harryagain