High frequency fluorescent lamps very sensitive to switch bounce - any cure?

I have a couple of 5ft HF fluorescent lamps which frequently fail to start when I switch them on. At first I thought I had a faulty switch which wasn't turning on but after a while I decided that it was switch bounce causing the problem.

If I push the switches carefully, or at least in a way that I guess will stop them bouncing, the lights come on OK. However I'm not a perfect switch de-bouncer and neither are other users. Once not started the lights don't re-try, they simply stay off until I switch off for a few seconds and then re-try.

A change of switch has improved things a little but it's still far from perfect.

Can anyone advise a way around this problem, probably the best answer is a non-bouncing switch as I don't particularly want to replace the lights.

Reply to
tinnews

Any scope for hiding away a relay in the circuit that might have decent contacts compared to the switch?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

My experience has been that intermittent working can be the first sign of a failing switch... If careful operation can get it to work, that's a second sign.

Reply to
John Williamson

I would say a dodgy switch, or light fittings that aren't fit for purpose.

Did you mean switch(es)?

Reply to
Fredxx

As I pointed out "A change of switch has improved things a little", it's now a brand new switch. The 'old' switch is fine when used to switch other lights, I've tried it.

Reply to
tinnews

The problem is with the ballast, no point blaming a perfectly functional switch. Solution involves either replacing the ballasts or showing us the circuit diagram of them, and perhaps someone will have an idea how to improve it.

NT

Reply to
Tabby