help with pub quiz needed

Hawk has been suggested twice for plasterers, but don't brickies use one too?

Reply to
GB

well I am thinking of Russia/Mongolia and China/Thibet etc etc. or EU/Britain :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 06:57:33 +0000, alan_m coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

So you are advocating giving 18 and 21 month old babies alcoholic beverages?

Reply to
Graham.

So is 60 months / 5 years the legal minimum age for drinking alcohol? I never knew there was a minimum age in private. Of course in Victorian ages, "daffy" (watered-down gin) was used to pacify babies - as referred to in many of Dickens' novels.

Reply to
NY

I wasn't aware that Russia claimed Mongolia.

But it matters not, Russia is the largest country by a mile without it.

Tibet is "officially" part of China despite people thinking that it shouldn't be, so any measure of China's size already includes it

tim

Reply to
tim...

Gripe water (the proper 3.6% alcohol) never did me any harm.

I wasn't allowed sherry until I was about 5.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

No, it jhust runs it anyway ;-)

Anyway the point was that there are often ambiguities in quiz questions.

I.e what is the common factor between:

Horsely Blenheim Lancaster Halifax

?

There are two correct answers at least.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would have thought a 'motor mechanic' would actually say 'MacPherson strut'?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I'd never heard of the Hawker Horsley, but google found it.

And what's the other?

Reply to
GB

So, would a 'Bodger' come under that title and therefore be an acceptable answer also?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I know 3 of then are oil fields

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Since the owner of the Hawker Aircraft company (Tommy Sopwith) lived in East Horsley, it not a surprising choice of name. There's a model of the plane in the hallway of Horsley Towers (now a hotel)

There are or were all bombers

Reply to
charles

It is not exclusively a bodger's tool, so that would be up to the question master's discretion.

Reply to
Nightjar

Is there by gum.

Indeed.

And all from different manufacturers:

Hawker, Bristol, Avro, Handley Page.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Like asking "Who created the Daleks?"

Reply to
ARW

Agreed.

I think the problems can arise when the quizmaster doesn't actually know (for example) that 'a Bodger' was actually a trade (and would be a valid answer to the 'who would use a Polelathe' question, unless they can take time out to look such things up or get a vote from the floor (assuming anyone else knows it etc)?

In fact I wondered how often that sort of situation comes up on the likes of Mastermind or University Challenge and assuming they aren't live, how often (therefore) they have to stop for verification?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I once ran a pun quiz.

Question number 11 was "What's the name of the fat bastard in the corner Googling for the answers on his phone?"

I was never asked to be quizmaster again.

Reply to
ARW

isn't that just a different way of expressing the same answer?

a bit like what do

Fiesta, Capri, Granada and Sierra have in common?

they are all Fords

oh and they are all cars

tim

Reply to
tim...

They are all places in britain too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A friend of mine got into an argument with Jeremy Paxman on one of the Christmas University Challenge programmes (the ones with academics on the teams).

The answer given by Jamie was UNIX, but Paxman insisted it was Linux, and wouldn't allow it. I believe the discussion and clarification took about

10 minutes. The re-done version was broadcast, and Paxman couldn't resist saying "or Linux".

Bob Eager