Potterton Netaheat 80e - I think the gas valve is stuck - what next?

We have a venerable Potterton Netaheat 80e which we only turn on occasionally when it gets particularly cold, it does have a clock controller but it runs on expensive LPG and we have a wood burner that keeps much of the house warm.

I have just turned it on for the first time this year and it isn't lighting. The pilot flame lights OK and the boiler makes all the right sort of noises but the main flame doesn't light.

The troubleshooting guide suggests that the solenoid valve GV2 is faulty, does sort of make sense if it's stuck shut. Is this a common/likely fault and am I likely to be able to unstick it or should I simple replace it?

Reply to
Chris Green

Its probably an open-circuit coil. These can be replaced without touching the gas plumbing. Look out for diodes when checking these.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

I was about to do some simple elecrical checks when supper interrupted. I'll check that it's getting volts to energise it and, if it is, that it's not OC.

Thanks.

Reply to
Chris Green

They use common Honeywell made gas valves which are readily available new if you cannot find the electric controls separately.

Reply to
Alan

Yes, the part number from the manual took me to lots of suppliers, not ridiculously expensive either if you shop around a bit. So if it's dead then it's not too expensive to replace.

Reply to
Chris Green

All checked OK, coil measures 1.9k which seems reasonable for a mains solenoid and was getting 240v across it when it should do.

So I waggled things a bit and rattled them a bit an, hey presto, it's all working now. I suspect a new pair of solenoid valves might be a good idea in due course!

Reply to
Chris Green