The uk.d-i-y quick quiz

Below, you get the names of items used in a trade, profession or hobby. What is that trade, profession or hobby

  1. A mattock, a dibber 2. Fuller, bellows, swage, mandrel 3. A rip, a ladder, a scribe 4. a float, a hawk 5. a skep, a smoker 6. A pressing ham, a clapper, chalk 7. A paternoster, a priest, 8. A noggin, a bradawl an adze 9. Catafalque bier veil 10. Jigger jolley, pug, harp & wheel

I am off down the pub. Answers later. Thanks all for your help.

Reply to
TimW

A good collection. Would need google for a small number!

Steve

Reply to
newshound

You either haven't read the entire thread or have a worse memory than me. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I?ve ridden in a paternoster, but not with a priest. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

And the answers: 1. Gardener 2. Blacksmith 3. slater/roofer 4. Plasterer 5. Beekeeper 6. tailor 7. Angler 8. carpenter 9. Undertaker 10. potter

Reply to
TimW

Yeah ... I'm a right brainer you see so only remember the things that are pertinent (to the point). ;-)

Also, there are so many duplicate threads popping up because (possibly) my newsreader doesn't realise they are part of the original thread, I just saw it as the same thing (which in fact to a right brainer it is). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Are you sure you didn't write that after you'd been to the pub?

Reply to
Halmyre

Sounds like a gardening bee keeping jack of all trades to me, and we all know what thy can be like. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It is also possible to ride in a Priest:

Nightjar

Over the top (or under the bottom)?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Both ;-)

We had one at Salford University, commissioned in 1967, after quite a delay whilst the fire authorities sorted out necessary precautions. The chemistry students had to be forbidden from jumping on with arms full of glassware.

Ah, the heady days of the sixties. The architects had provided a bench seat on each floor immediately opposite the paternoster. The place was full of female language students, hemlines were very high, and as the car rose, you popped up at floor level. Views in the tower block were interesting.

Going over the top, though frowned upon, _had_ to be done It was a little unnerving, as it got noisier and there was a bit of vibration, being near the drive motors, but not actually as hazardous as getting on and off normally. On each floor there was a hinged flap. so that overhanging feet were not chopped. As the top area was solid, there was a flap which operated a trip switch, which was regularly operated.

Some wag went over the top and emerged standing on his head.

The whole block is now demolished, the space left appearing far too small ever to have contained it, whilst the somewhat similar Sheffield Arts Tower is listed!

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

We had one in James Went Building at Leicester Poly, the paternoster did seem to spend huge chunks of time out of order, the building itself was out of commission for a year while they removed the asbestos, and is now demolished.

We didn't get such a benefit

I gathered there were various "tilt" switches as it went over the top, so stood very still, quite often people would "trip" it while trying.

During quiet times you could take a trip up and leaving all the flaps open behind you. I seem to remember the front of the cars also hinged upwards and would trip it if it threatened to decapitate someone.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Do paternosters keep the car the same way up or do they invert it as it goes over the top? Or are there two different sorts, with the added fun being "is this the inverting sort?".

I imagine that paternosters are good where some people are going to all the floors and therefore a conventional lift would have to stop at each (with deceleration and acceleration at each floor), but are very slow if most of the people are going from the ground to the top floor, and therefore the paternoster has to go slowly (for safety of people who might have been getting on/off at each floor) where a conventional lift could accelerate to a faster speed when bypassing the intermediate floors. And also they are not good if a lot of people want to get on/off and have to all do so within a fairly small window of time while the lift floor is still within jumping distance of the building floor.

Reply to
NY

No, your feet remained downwards at all times! A bit bumpy as it went under or over the top, but good fun ;-)

A little like the underground really. If you couldn't get in one, another would be along. In a few seconds in this case.

Because only so many people could get on and off in the limited time available they weren't as crowded as a conventional lift car could be.

I only remember it running at a fixed speed but there were never long queues as there were quite a few lift cars in the chain.

This was circa 1975/7 at Crawley Technical College. Went back there in the 80s and they had been replaced by normal lifts with the typical queues.

They worked very well and I never heard of any accidents but Health & Safety types obviously got their way :-(

Reply to
SteveE

Yes, they only ever ran at a fairly steady speed, since it had to be safe for people getting on and off at any time.

Our cars were only supposed to carry a maximum of two passengers. It would have been a challenge (which some no doubt accepted) to get more on and off in the time available.

The biggest problem with flow was that, since lecture times were pretty standard, everyone wanted to move at the same time. At intermediate floors it could be rather like trying to spot a gap on a busy motorway. They would no doubt have been much better in locations which had less peaky demand.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

its a bleeding fisherman type person