Help wiring

Yes the lights work.

Reply to
ss

Then link the switched live and permanent live at the fan. It could be a cable problem.

Reply to
ARW

OK before I do that I have got my hands on a multi meter so might as well check for voltage coming in, do I use the probes on: Permanent live and earth Switched live and earth and this should show 250v

Then will check my connections just in case the rubber sheath has been caught (its an awkward location)

Reply to
ss

Test between

Permanent live and neutral Switched live and neutral

Reply to
ARW

Damn, everything on hold now as it looks like the multi meter is not working, getting no readings on AC and I checked a live light switch and that is not giving a reading. Using both a non contact and a mains tester both show lives.

Reply to
ss

I have oredered a cheapy multi on ebay, in the meantime I will rip out some more of the celing as there has to be a juncion box of some kind in there.

Reply to
ss

My Maplin multimeter requires a button to be pressed to convert the DC ranges into AC.

Reply to
Dave W

If you confirm that there's 250v between each of those and earth then you need to check that the remaining neutral conductor really is connected to neutral. A continuity test between this and a good known neutral would help but check that the voltage between the two is actually zero before doing that.

Have you actually confirmed that the fan is in working order? A temporary lash up with a length of flex and a plug with 3A fuse would confirm this.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I think the O/P said the cable was 3&E, so is there a 2-way switch somewhere, and is the blue cable he's used really a switched live (without any red sleeving) rather than a neutral?

Reply to
Andy Burns