geoff

In message , Capitol writes

Snip ...

retard

Reply to
geoff

"Seri" wrote in news:xXAgc.13443503$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:

I'm kind of surprised that after

Thre's too many netkops already; the sense of the convention usually penetrates without too much help,

Top posting

What irritates you most?

mike r

Reply to
mike ring

I didn't consider my response to be that uncivil. Perhaps I am just so astounded that anyone would imagine that a reply could precede a quote under any circumstances. It's not as if you ever see it done in the press etc.

Another point to bear in mind is that I, like many of the group, often use GPRS to access mail and news. You can imagine that it does little for the temper when you have to download reams of previous irrelevance because of those who will not trim to context.

So apologies if you felt I was harsh.

Reply to
Andy Luckman

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 18:11:25 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named Andy Luckman randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

A couple of reasons;

  1. My posts on this group may differ from my employer's 'official' policies, or I may occasionally come across someone who I had given informal advice to. To avoid possibly being quoted as a definitive source when I am anything but, I have used a pseudonym.

  1. To avoid unnecessary spam (is any spam necessary?- don't answer that), or any junk mail, etc.

I have to admit, it wouldn't take an e-Sherlock to find my true identity from various clues I've given over the years, but it will hopefully stop the casual spammer or enquirer.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Fair enough, but that can't that be overcome with a small disclaimer in the sig?

How does using a pseudonym help that? It is the return address that needs to be altered rather than your given name, as you are aware with local.host. I find that the privacy net address works well as a mailto: because it is accepted as a genuine address for the individual.net server.

My personal opinion is that it is important to be "real" in order to be taken seriously, especially when posting to a group for the first few times. Obviously you have been around long enough to be well established, but I would be wary of a new poster who anonymises. At the least, I hope to see some genuine info in the sig.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

I use NewsProxy - works with any news reader. As a consequence I don't see any of the cross-posted troll stuff that appears here (I was only aware of how big a problem this has become when I had to use a public newsserver to read the group whilst working from another location and couldn't be bothered to reconfigure NewsProxy for that one). That is, unless someone replies to such a post and trims out the x-posts......

Google search on rec.woodworking for instructions on where to get it and how to configure the filters.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

My personal opinion is that what I say will either stand up in its own right, or be seen for the rubbish it really is irrespective of whether I sign myself TNP or Tony Bliar.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

1) Disclaimers have no legal status. 2) Most employers don't care about them, anyway. I know of several people who have got into disciplinary hot water because of Usenet postings, and not even those made from work. [12 lines snipped]

Who *ostentatiously* anonymises. Call yourself "John Brown" and who's going to know?

(BTW, I've been called "Huge" in real life for over 30 years.)

Reply to
Huge

Yes. OK I'll concede that. It does make me more wary though if an ID is obviously not genuine, especially if it comes via Google etc.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Interesting, I've downloaded it. Now to configure it ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Lee,

check your emails - I've mailed you something that might speed up your config somewhat.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Thank you :)

Lee