Heating oil

What is the current price that people are getting? Don

Reply to
Donwill

Well the price of crude is now about $45/barrel, in Dec 07/Jan 08 it was about $70 and was fairly stable in price, I paid 40.59p/l on 21 Dec 07. So in theory it should now be well below 40p/l.

An online quote site that I have been checking fairly often recently, partly cause the crude price is falling so quickly and we are going to need to order very soon, has just given me 37.13p/l for 2000l. 6th Nov was

43.08, 16th 39.26. I can normally beat that by 2p/l for our local supplier.

Once the crude prices of $45 have filtered through in the next few weeks I'd expect to see sub 30p/l, not seen that since before Jul 2005. It'll get cheaper still if the crude price continues to fall. Crude price has been in a fairly linear slide since the $147 peak in early July:

I saw reference to a meeting of OPEC before the end of the month where it is expected they will cut production to maintain the price but that didn't work last month, this time? Or not? If you don't need to buy now I'd hold on as the price is falling, but keep an eye on the price of crude and if it starts to rise or stabilises...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I wonder how long it will last? In previous house I had an oil boiler and enjoyed buying oil at it's lowest, a full 700gall tank gave one a warm glow even before switching the boiler on, It was like having a shed full of logs before winter. Now I am on mains gas and subjected to the uncertainties that come with it, to give me some flexibility I am contemplating installing an oil boiler in parallell with existing gas boiler so to speak.? Don

Reply to
Donwill

At least mains gas doesn't change price on an almost daily basis! Oil is very volatile, my last prices have been 32.98, 33.62 28.12 30.25 40.59

48.85 and 36.2 (today). That's about 450 quid difference from cheapest (Jan 07) to dearest (Apr 08) on 2000l. That's a lot when you buy 2000l twice/year...

I wonder if oil is now cheaper than gas, 36.2p/l is about 3.6p/unit, what is the price of gas these days?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice