Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and water

We have different suppliers for the fuel. The gunk in his fuel line was " like watery porridge".

Reply to
misterroy

Out of nosiness - which fuel suppliers do the two of you use? Years ago, I used the people in Lairg, until they morphed into 'Scottish' Fuels. I've been getting deliveries from Simpson's in Caithness for some time now, and have not as yet had any problems with them.

(Are you the Roy who has the bunkhouse?)

Reply to
S Viemeister

No Bunkhouse, we are Isle of Lewis. I have been with Highland Fuels, and my neighbour Scottish Fuels. I did not use Scottish Fuels after they were caught price gauging. Well, not until the last fill, where they were cheaper than Highland Fuels. Fingers crossed.

Reply to
misterroy

I stopped dealing with SF due both to prices and poor service. We used to use a Rayburn, and when the man who usually cleaned and serviced it was out on sick leave his replacement pretended to have properly de-sooted everything. He hadn't, and it led to a chimney fire.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Think the difference may have been found. I order 1000 litres, in my 1000 litre tank. He orders 1200 litres for his 2400 litre tank, so it is only ever about half full, leaving room for air, moisture and condensation. Leading to algae, gunk asnd a failled pump.

This is from a heating oil supplier: "Preventing Tank Sludge What can you do to prevent a sludge problem in your heating oil tank in the months to come? Here are four key actions you should take:

Keep enough heating oil in your tank – An empty heating oil tank promotes condensation build-up on its walls, which accelerates the growth of sludge-forming bacteria. If your tank is less than half full, schedule an oil delivery today. Get professional heating maintenance every year – A heating tune-up includes a filter change – a must for your heating oil system. It will also help technicians to spot a sludge problem early, before too much damage is done. Consider draining your tank – Sludge accumulates over time; if you have an older heating oil tank, consider having it drained by a waste oil contractor. Removing sludge this way can save you money on repairs and help your heating system to perform better. Choose a reputable heating oil supplier – “Discount” fuel companies commonly offer fuel that is less refined and contains more contaminants. Remember: as with many things in life, you get what you pay for!"

Reply to
misterroy

Whereabouts? I have a friend who lives in Carloway.

Reply to
charles

Can't comment on Scottish fuel sources but nearly all the kerosine supplied around East Yorkshire and Northern Lincolnshire is refined in Lindsey Oil Refinery. All the different companies fill their tankers there. Some add magic juice which they claim makes their Kerosine better than their competitors but it's all refined the same way. I'd be surprised if Scottish refineries run different batches for different companies and water in the refinery output stream is extremely unlikely. Most times we found water inside domestic fuel tanks it was due to rain ingress through defective tank tops or "borrowed" fuel being poured in by the customer. I had one old chap whose boiler wouldn't fire. I drained about 5 gallons of water out of his steel tank and purged the fuel lines to get his boiler going. Placed a poly cover over the top of the tank as a temporary rain proofing as I found the top had been dished in by him standing on it to access his garage roof and clean his bathroom window. Over the years a pool of rainwater formed and eventually a hole rusted through, funneling rain into the tank. When he had run the tank contents right down over the rest of the season I swapped his old tank out for a new one.

Reply to
John J

Yes. We've always made a point of keeping a good amount of fuel in the tank.

Reply to
S Viemeister