Heat protection

We've got a new air fryer and it's going to have to sit underneath a wall cupboard in the kitchen.

What can I fasten to the underside of the cupboard to protect it from the heat?

Reply to
Frank

We use ours on a worktop which has cupboards above it. We position it forward, so there is a large gap behind.

We’ve been doing this for over two years, using it once or twice a week. We’ve not noticed any problems.

The air fryer is Proscenic T24, similar to the Corsori ‘cube’ ones.

Reply to
Brian

That's how mine is positioned and I haven't found it gets unduly hot, it's pretty good at containing the heat.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

If the cabinet needs it, this?

Andy Burns

It says it's for protection against radiant heat. I would have assumed that air fryer heat is from convection, and as that ally sheet is only

1mm thick, I doubt it would be effective against that.
Reply to
Jeff Layman

a sheet of this cut down to size and then fitted with appropriate screws?

this is what we have on the back of the wood beam in our inglenook fireplace holding a multifuel stove and its been fine for the past 11 years. :-)

Reply to
SH

+1. That stuff really works. I used it to do part assembly on soldered plumbing and as a heat shield on installation when the normal heat mat kept falling down :-)
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don’t worry about it. The outside of our air fryer (Cosori 5.5 litre) only gets lukewarm, and the air from the vent at the back is warm rather than hot. It sits partially under a cupboard and a few inches from the wall at the back.

By all means run yours up as if you were roasting potatoes in it, and see how warm the outside gets and how hot the vented air is. You’ll probably be advised by the manufacturer to do a ‘burn in’ run on it anyway.

Welcome to the world of air frying, it’s rather different to conventional cooking. We’ve had ours for four months and have only used our main oven twice in that time, saving us about £25 per month on electricity costs.

Reply to
Spike

A "boiler installer" decided to post pictures of a recent job on Nextdoor he was "clearly proud" of and was hoping to gain extra business

It was a horrendous job as he clearly did not know of heat resistant mats.....

The boiler clearly came with a kit of preformed pipes that then came out to a set of ready to use pipe openings about 30 cm from the bottom of the boiler.

He then soldered up all these pipes to the existing house pipework.

All of the soldered pipe joints had blackened and scorched areas of plasterboard wall behind it!

I'm sorry, I am not employing a pyromaniac who does not treat my house with respect!

Reply to
SH

P.S. That boiler looks like its a Condensing combo boiler so I am confused as to what appears to be a pump in one of the pipes as there is normally one in the boiler itself?

Also, I would have plastered that wall before fitting anything to it but maybe that might be down to the homeowner not being house proud?

And is fitting a overpressure pipe to a tundish and into a waste pipe legal? I thought it had to vent straight outside?

Also those isolatino valves? I thought yellow was for gas? Why is there a yellow valve on the incoming cold water? I would have put a blue valve in there.

Depending on which way those valves close, the one for gas could foul the maganclean or the incoming cold water valve?

All in all I personally think I could have done a better job than this.....

What does the panel think?

Reply to
SH

Lets see. an oven probably takes about 500W average for an hour a day.

15 kWh is £25? Wow!
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

p.p.S

If that is a stud and partition wall, thats going to make the boiler noise more noticeable in the house?

I would have thought about mounting it on the thermalite blockworrk with some rigifix fittings (recognising that Thermalite blocks is not the most mechanically hardest of building materials.

Reply to
SH

With unfinished block walls I first assumed perhaps a garage but with a suspended wooden floor unlikely. Who cut those floorboards? The cut near the wall was unnecessary as the bit still left could have been lifted with the bit they have removed. They didn't even bother to find the position of the joist which could have easily been found from the floorboard nails. They have just made the re-fitting of the boards more difficult than necessary.

I'm guessing with unfinished block walls this must be a little used utility room or something similar so plastering may not have been a priority or even deemed necessary. I wonder if the plasterboard was used just to give flat working surface.

Yellow handles often just signify that the valve is approved for gas. The gas shut off valve near my meter has no sleeve on the handle - it's just metal. Safety instructions from gas utility companies suggest red or yellow (at the meter). I assume that the gas is the 22mm pipe as there is a G on the pipe clip. The yellow handle on the other valve appears to have been labelled with marker pen but I'm not sure why the installer wouldn't have done the same on the gas valve, but from the photo it's still work in progress.

I agree the scorch marks are unacceptable and could have been very easily avoided.

Reply to
alan_m

I was surprised to find that for its first month of operation, our electricity consumption had fallen by ~75 units. This was in February with the heating running 16 hours a day (gas heating, but 2x50W Grundfoss pumps (1 for boiler, 1 for CH), much the same as in January, and with no other significant changes. In fact gas consumption was identical for those months, the average outside temperature being 6.8 and 6.5 degC respectively.

Looking back over the data, the mean fall in electricity consumption over those four months was 52 kWh/month, saving 208 units at 34p, or £70 - all but paying for the air fryer.

Reply to
Spike

Surely by now somebody should be making space shuttle tiles for this purpose? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think that's probably okay. The tundish provides the visual indication.

Reply to
GB

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

No need with an air fryer, they dont get hot on the outside.

And space shuttle tiles are very easy to damage by contact and don't survive cleaning.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Thanks, that looks an interesting solution.

Reply to
Frank

Ah...

Reply to
Frank

Thanks.

We've had a 'toy' air fryer for a couple of years that contains the hot air but have now bought the real thing with two serious-looking vents sticking out of the back. Hence the concern for the cupboard above it.

I'll do a test run this afternoon and see what happens.

After that there's going to be a serious learning curve!

Reply to
Frank