Blowing up condensers

As an apprentice I had a condenser blow up on me, it was wired the wrong way and must have built up some pressure before the pitch encapsulation released. It dented the ceiling in the lab and left a big black splodge.

Reply to
jon

Almost as much fun as mains across a Marshall guitar loudspeaker cabinet.

Here's a puzzle for you. 40 year old 1" metal dome tweeter. The glue holding the coil to the diaphragm turned to dust, so I re glued it with superglue. Didn't work once I turned it up...

Now, the voice coil has *vanished*.

I took the diaphragm off, and there is no voice coil. Two wires go to where it used to be. I ran a shim round the magnet gap, and its completely clear. I shook the magnet, and there is no rattle of loose bits inside.

I will be putting in a new diaphragm in, in due course.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, however back in my political incorrect youth, the big fun to be had was when a new man or woman came in who replaced components for the engineers, you charged up an electrolytic with a suitable working voltage to a few hundred volts and left it on their desk with the wires splayed a bit, and waited for the yelp and a swearword, while we all looked innocent. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff