Head Torch

They're still at it in the ICE industry. Quoted power output usually about

4 times the RMS into 4 ohms.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought Lumens was Lumens (probably should be lowercase) and if you wanted to include the angle they were spread over, it was something like lumens per steradian?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think 6000 lumens is lies. I have a Fenix LED torch, powered by a single 4.2V 4800mAh 26650 cell, Cree spec sheets say the LED used has a peak power consumption of 18W, which gives 1600 lumens, it's about as bright as a halogen headlamp.

For that headtorch, Cree's spec say each LED is 1040 lumens, so 3120 total and I'd expect that to melt your forehead in pretty short order ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

So how are they allowed to get away with it?

False advertising / trading standards?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The 1040 lumens figure is probably specified at 25C which suggests it's only achievable when attached to a very large heat-sink. I doubt if the typical forehead is a suitable heat-sink.

I would also be a bit worried about supplying that much power from 2 x

18650 batteries strapped to the back of your head.

I have a couple of (Chinese) "Cree" mini torches that take the shorter lithium 14500 3.7V 1600mAh[1] battery. They provide a very bright light for all of 3 or 4 minutes before the all metal casing gets rather hot and the light output falls of dramatically. I'm not sure if its the LED trying to ditch heat or the battery warming up to trying to supply the power. I also have the much larger models of these torches with the

18650 1800mAh[1] 3.7V battery that don't seem to have this problem possibly because the all metal case is substantially larger providing a better heat-sink. [1] Chinese specification for many of these no-name batteries, which is often BS. Ebay lists 14500 anywhere between 750mAh and 2600mAH - I suspect that the former figure is somewhat closer to the truth.
Reply to
alan_m

and when driven to 100% total harmonic distortion!

Reply to
alan_m

What about sweets with 30% less sugar. They just make them 30% smaller.

Reply to
alan_m

A rash of stickers reading:

"Different pack size, Great regular price."

That's Sainsbury's way to let you know shrinkflation is at work.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I also see the sugar tax is working well for "branded" fizzy drinks. The price has risen for both full sugar and diet variants so that there is no differential in price and no financial incentive to change from the variety that has the equivalent of 20 cubes of sugar per litre.

Reply to
alan_m

Certainly the acreage of aisle-space dedicated to them has shrunk.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You're right - 4 pack Red Bull, Sainsbury's website, identical price for diet/non diet. Larger boxes do have differentiation, but most people I suspect buy 4 packs or singles.

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's due to the CO2 shortage.

Reply to
Huge

I remember there was a hoo-ha about Iron Brew, where they had the original version, a diet version and had introduced a zero sugar version, which wasn't well received and people were stockpiling the original version.

So I was similarly surprised to see all theree versions on offer at £1 a bottle, for some reason I took a look at the label, to find that even the full-fat version is now below the 5% sugar threshold ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

There's just so much bullshit around at the moment, I'm literally calling it our every other day...

The one that's really got my goat recently is this utter bullcrap over many shops age limiting caffinated drinks like Red Bull...

whilst at the SAME time putting in more and more self service checkouts that are covered by a bloke who wanders off to do something else all the time, leaving people waiting to get their lunch "authorised*.

It's complete bullcrap...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I was told it's what the ICE public want and expect. ;-)

If everyone in ICE uses the same standard, at least you can compare various offerings.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I like the occasional Beck's Blue. Zero alcohol - but to me the best of the zero alcohol 'beers'. But at Tesco, it has to be authorised. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It and similar 0.0% beers are OK on occasion, can't take a whole night on them without losing the taste for them though.

While any schoolkid can buy up to 0.5% shandy without approval ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well, quite. Much the same as drinking alcohol free wine etc. No point in drinking a lot of it. ;-)

I'd guess it's having a barcode that tells the machine it's from the alcohol aisle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe they should ask all women who appear to be of child-bearing age whether they are breast feeding, since the can also says it's unsuitable for them ... watch the uproar on mumsnet.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Really? That is amusing :)

I used to be able to buy liqueur chocolates when I was a lad - enough to notice the effect.

Reply to
Tim Watts