Have pop rivets/guns changed?

I've got an old pop-rivet gun which worked perfectly well the last time I used it, maybe 1978.

Bought a selection of rivets the other day and there is no grip. So has the pin diameter changed with metrication? Or is my gun broken?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Have you got any original rivets to compare with the new ones.

There are several sizes of pop rivet - with different shank diameters. The better guns have several nozzles, allowing you to fit the appropriate one for the rivets.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Don't think they have changed - assuming the same size rivet. But on mine the gripper mechanism is the same for all sizes - you just change the nozzle. I'd check the gripper hasn't seized.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But the nozzles just press on the rivet head, they don't grip the nail.

Reply to
Rob Morley

correct

the rivetter must, or it won't do anything useful. As said probably a sticking mechanism.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No

Yes the gun has 3 different nozzles.

Reply to
AnthonyL

They do have a connection with gripping, look at the taper on the end of the nozzle it is in a different place for each one,the taper acts on the gripping jaws

Reply to
FMurtz

Try the right one for the rivet.

Reply to
FMurtz

Jeez I would never thought of that, I was using the left one.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Yup. Soak it in WD40.

Reply to
newshound

Well a combination of factors but a good spray of WD40 followed by some graphite oil once dried and lots of vigorous opening an closing, plus shoving a panel pin into the slightly corroded nozzle and after managing to get a couple of rivets in the whole gun started to smooth up nicely - job done.

Thanks to all who made sensible suggestions.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Sorry, you are quite right of course. The mechanical jiggling is a significant part of it.

I was just trying to get Tabs to bite:-)

Reply to
newshound

nice one. I much prefer fixing old tools to buying new - usually.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

but you didn't provide a mouse

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I thought "fish oil" might be enough

Reply to
newshound

You'll probably find that the "gripper" bit has got crap/corrosion on it preventing it from biting on the rivet shank. Dismantle & clean up. They grip a wide range of sizes when working.

Reply to
harry