3-jaw rivet guns? (or: "Ping Andy Dingley!")

I asked the query below tagged onto the bottom of an old thread, which may be why it got no response, so I'm trying again in a new thread (and x-posting to URCM too!)

Having looked around, all the rivet guns I can see appear to have two handles (like a crimping tool) with a round nozzle for the rivet at the tip.

Can anyone advise please? Many thanks.

Andy D > When buying a pop-rivet gun, get a 3 jaw design, not a 2 jaw. > There's an extra size increment you can have, just from the grip, let > alone the effort needed.

Thanks for that advice Andy: now, as a total rivetting numpty, is it obvious whether a rivet gun has a 3 or 2 jaw design? Never handled one before. What about the Screwfix one which I cited previously?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

what about lazy tongs

reg

If you have access to a compressor, beg/borrow/steal a pneumatic one ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

That looks similar to my "Fuller" pop-rivet gun. If you remove the round nozzle you will be able to see the jaws that grip the rivet. Mine has two jaws and that is OK for the small amount I use it. For long rivets I have to press the handles together twice. I assume that a three-jaw gun would handle bigger rivets and be able to rivet in one operation. But then it may not fit in confined spaces and would cost more.

Reply to
Nick

I use a two jaw one for occasional riviting (like once in five years). I can't really see why three jaws would be significantly better than two. They only have to grip the shank while you set the rivit.

Reply to
dennis

In that case, the rivets must be too long. To judge how long the rivet shank should be, take the thickens you are riveting and add just a little over (10%) the diameter of the rivet to the length. That way, you get a good rivet set.

I have never encountered a three jaw gun in the aerospace industry, so I can't comment on them.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Speaking as an aircraft engineer, most of our pop pliers are the standard 2 jaw. Lazy tongs are 3 jaw.

The pop pliers have a small range of rivet size options in terms of dia, or you need to change the jaws. The lazy tongs take a far greater range of rivet mandel sizes with the same jaw.

Most pneumatic pliers are also three jawed

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

Sorry, but it was going back more than 30 years when I last used them. I tended to use them and not take much notice. Piece work ruled :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

No. Look up the snout and count them, but you have to look close. I think "Beargrip" are the commonplace brand with the good grips.

Most cheap (< £20) hand riveters have nose bushes for 3,4,5 & 6mm rivets. You have the hand strength to pull a 6mm aluminium rivet with a simple short-handle riveter, but the cheap 2 jaw tools can't get a good enough grip on it. A 3 jaw one can. Bigger riveters, such as long handle or lazy-tong riveters generally have jaws adequate for the task.

Reply to
Andy Dingley